Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Every Little Thing

I've always liked the song: but I've never believed the lyrics.



I think everything needs to be worried about. Somebody's got to do it. And, since you ask, it's going to be me.

It's not that I have a negative approach to things: I don't. It's just that I think that, to make good things happen, there has to be firstly an idea, then secondly a lot of work. Then, when you've done all that, it has to be worried about, because then, and only then, will it come right.

I'm not saying that's actually the case: I'm just saying that this is how my mind works.

I'm not really an ideas person. I'm more a doggedly-putting-it-into-practice person. And then a worrying-about-the-details person.

"In the moment" is not something that comes naturally to me. Even as I'm looking at the glorious scenery, I'm thinking of the photo I'll take of it, and the people I'll tell about it, and the plans I'll make to revisit it.

"Carefree" doesn't come naturally either. It's true that in life you can do what you want: but you have to be prepared to take the consequences. And I'm always thinking ahead, always thinking of the possible results of any possible action.

In my handbag is everything that could be necessary in any situation on Planet Earth and a few things which could come in useful when I make it to the Space Station. Okay, I may have missed one or two things out but, believe me, it wasn't for want of trying, or for want of thinking about it and worrying about what these things might be.

I worry about all sorts of things. Big, life-and-death things. Small, where's-that-piece-of-paper things. How people are. What will happen next. Have I forgotten anything?

Good job I didn't write the lyrics for this song. My version would go

"Make sure you worry about everything.
And then you stand a half-decent chance of getting at least some of it right."

It doesn't have quite such an upbeat feel, but I think my version is more truthful.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure why I felt the need to bury this comment on an old thread, but just to say, you can remove my old blog link and replace with the new one if you like.

Bun

8:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home