Thursday, May 01, 2008

Crumbs

Remember this?

Emily and Gareth's wonderful wedding cake, made by my cousin Dorothy, which the delightful little figures of Emily and Gareth on the top.

They got married on February 16th and there's still some of the cake left, so when the Communist came home for a visit the other day, we all had a piece (that's a great dishwasher-safe plate from the Seventies, isn't it?)

Dorothy made the cake with so much alcohol that it would probably last for years, though I don't think it will get the chance.

I love photos and videos of everyday things, as I've mentioned before.

One of the reasons is that I used to be a Sentimental Young Fool and all the signs are that eventually I'll be a Sentimental Old Fool without ever passing through Unsentimental Completely Rational Person in the middle.

So, when something good happens, I want a record of it, to try to cling on to the memory, to keep it alive.

Once, some years ago, my parents had taken the very young Emily to stay with our relatives Amy and Frank in Barrow for a few days. Having a free day in the middle, I drove to Barrow to see them all.

Because I was only there for a day, they were keen to do something special. Should we go up to Coniston? Should we go out somewhere new for lunch? What did I want to do?

I remember thinking no, that's not what I want. What I want is an ordinary day on the beach nearby.

And that's what we did, and it was lovely, with Barrow's usual cold wind and some wild waves.

That was the last day out that I had with Frank, who was elderly and died shortly afterwards.

Paula Yates - not perhaps best known for her insight - once said "It's not the quality time that matters with your children, it's the ordinary time."

She was so right. So that's why, as well as wanting a photo of the wedding cake, I want a photo of the crumbs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home