Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Cool Again, Naturally

It's cool to like, say, Abba now, after years of many people laughing at them. The trouble with the seventies is that the clothes were so - well - seventies. But the smocks of my youth have been back with a vengeance and now it's the music's turn. Hurrah.

There was a lot I didn't like about Raymond Edward O'Sullivan, such as his stage name Gilbert O'Sullivan, which always seemed a bit Engelbert Humperdinck to me. (In case you didn't know, the singer Engelbert Humperdinck pinched his name from the composer of that name and I always thought it was a bit of a naff thing to do.)

I didn't like Gilbert O'Sullivan's initial image of cloth cap and short trousers: hated it, in fact.

But there's something memorable about his songs. Listen to this, and cut out the big collar and the Seventies hair. Here is an excellent song that still gets to me after all these years.



And if you think it's not cool, then guess what? I don't care.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought this song was cool, too. But in the States in 1982 I was the only one.

Vince

3:55 am  
Blogger Malcolm Cinnamond said...

No, sorry, could only manage 34 seconds, but I'm a sad old rocker.

It seems that one generation will always sneer at what came immediately before. The classic case are Led Zeppelin. They were desperately out of fashion for about 20 years, but are cooler than cool again, while U2 and REM are ridiculed.

7:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home