Saturday, May 17, 2008

These I Have Not Liked

Yes, of course, the proper spelling should have been HOSIERY, see previous post, and thanks for your comments on it.

And it's a word I don't like. Perhaps because it's one of those old-fashioned pompous-sounding words like BEVERAGES which I know I've grumbled about before on this blog.

There are other words I don't like and two that spring to mind are USED and MOIST. Clearly I'm not the first one to feel that way since I came across the two words in an internet gender test, to see what gender you are. It said I was female. I was pleased, since that's what I've always believed.

The word that I like least of any, the word that gives me shudders and shivers and ewwwwwwwwwwwwww nooooooooooo is - - and it might not be the one you expect - -

PAMPERING

Horrible word. Freaks me out. I don't like the look of it, the sound of it, or the meaning of it.

And I don't quite know why. I think it's because it reminds me of a world I just don't understand.

My hairdresser (who, you may remember, is mad as a bucket of frogs) always says to me, "Oh, it must be lovely for you in your busy life to spend a couple of hours pampering yourself having your hair done."

And, if I were to leap up and slash her throat with her own scissors, I expect she'd think it an over-reaction.

I hate anything like that - anything that makes you sit still where you're not even able to read or watch television. Facial, nails, make-up, massage, the lot - - forget it. In my limited free time, I'd rather be doing something else. But sometimes I feel that, because I hate all that kind of thing, I'm not a Proper Woman since I can't join in any kind of girly chat about it. So the word PAMPERING makes me feel both bored and inadequate. No wonder I don't like it.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate 'lavatory' which 'A' tends to use sometimes. It is such a stuck-up archaic word, I despise it.

Other words I hate include:
cosy
toes
snug
bubbly

To name a few. I can't describe why. Same reason I couldn't watch Lassie and The Littlest Hobo as a child; I just... couldn't.

1:36 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:06 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

I'm with you on every single one of those, Bun. Ewwwwwwwwww noooooo. And, like you, I can't quite say why. Can anyone else say what words they don't like?

2:09 pm  
Blogger Ailbhe said...

I can't imagine using "hosiery" in real life, but it does take up less space on a sign than "socks and tights and stockings and stuff," which is a definite advantage.

Also, "Beverages" is never shorthand for "Alcoholic drinks" which makes it useful menu-speak.

Words I really don't like... slag, cunt, cunny, vajayjay, piss, tart, ho, bitch (used for non-canines), and many, many more.

7:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay I know it's not what you were asking, but I love the word 'settee', much more than sofa or coach or anything else indicating an upholstered-more-than-one seater you might find in a front room (or living room or lounge if you are posh). It's a lovely word and I may love it especially because it is a word used by the poet Ian McMillan and when said with a Barnsley accent it sounds even better.

8:14 pm  
Blogger Ailbhe said...

Oh, and "pampering" I don't mind, but I object to using it to describe expensive, boring and often painful "beauty" treatments which benefit other people far, far more than they benefit myself.

8:29 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

I think hosiery is a rather nice word but that is probably because I am a pervert.

Regarding PAMPERING - doesn't this simply mean affixing a disposable nappy to a baby with diarrhoea?

12:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course the word 'coach' in my comment should have been 'couch' - ugly word and, with more than one meaning, a lot more dangerous than settee. Perhaps the supermarket sign writers were as tired as me when creating their hosiery sign - at least they used all the right letters, just not in the right order (to paraphrase Eric Morecambe).

7:24 am  
Blogger Debby said...

I don't mind the word moist. I hate being moist though. Shudder.

At the risk of offending sensitive eyes, masturbate is the world I dislike the most. It's harsh and gutteral and it just offends my senses.

Twat is my mother in law's word of loathing. I find it almost lyrical and it doesn't bother me. I try to work it into the conversation once on each of her visits. Twat's that you say? Bad Debby? Sighhh, yes you're right.

1:51 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Some words are unpleasant because they're abusive, of course, such as "slag". But others somehow the sound is worse than the meaning. I don't mind "masturbate" at all, Deb - - and I LOVE "Twat" - funny and rude at the same time.

4:09 pm  
Blogger John said...

heh heh, Robert Browning thought twat was something nuns wear on their heads. He used it in his poem Pippa Passes:

Then, owls and bats,
Cowls and twats,
Monks and nuns, in cloister's moods,
Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry!

None of his friends could think of a suitably delicate way of telling him his mistake - fucking Victorian's

12:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home