Friday, May 23, 2008

Losing it All

I didn't want to see John Terry's face on the front cover of the Times today. I'd seen enough of it at the time. I don't want to see anyone looking as sad as that.

I saw the penalties in the Champions League final and it was really hard to watch, even though my knowledge of football is less than extensive, to say the least. So much riding on each shot! So much rain! Even I had to watch whilst peering through my fingers from a Dr Who vantage point behind the settee, and I wasn't really supporting either team.

And after it was over, of course, Manchester United looked pretty damned happy and the Chelsea team and supporters looked very upset.

But John Terry, as Chelsea captain, looked beyond upset - he looked like his world had ended, and I suppose that, in many ways, it had.

But come on - in a world where there's been two huge disasters, in Myanmar (formerly Burma) and in China, with thousands upon thousands of people killed or destitute - - why should we be bothered about a highly-paid footballer's distress? Especially people like me, who don't know much about football at all?

For various reasons, I think. Firstly, because human beings really, really can't understand numbers beyond a few, certainly not in an emotional sense. If we hear about fifty thousand dead it doesn't seem a thousand times worse than fifty dead. We may know it is - - but we don't feel it.

I reckon it's because people evolved, thousands and thousands of years ago, to live in smallish groups. We can care very deeply about our smallish group - family, friends etc - but anyone in need of our caring outside of that group needs to be drawn to our attention.

So when we see, say, a child who's survived the earthquake, it brings it home to us: that child suddenly is part of the group that we care about. But "fifty thousand" is a number that we can't imagine.

And when we see John Terry's stricken face, it brings it home to us too. And I don't think that caring about one means that you don't care about the other: I think it's just a fact about how people's feelings work. I think it's hard for anyone with any degree of empathy to look at that photograph and go "oh, for goodness' sake, it doesn't matter, it's only football".

And another point that struck me is that for all we go on and on about men being able to show their emotions these days - - well, they can't, in general. Not without running the risk of embarrassed laughter from any other men - and perhaps some women too - in the vicinity. There's still the feeling that "big boys don't cry" no matter how traumatic their experience. If you tell me that's not the case, well, I don't believe you.

So football matches, especially, and other sporting events, intermittently, are the only places where any public display of emotion from men is permitted in our society.

And, actually, I think that's wrong too. I think repressed emotion is very bad for people and leads to all sorts of health problems. I don't mind at all that men at football matches show how upset they are. I do mind that they can't show it in other circumstances too.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ailbhe said...

Men are allowed to show loads of emotions without loss of face - mainly, the ones women aren't supposed to show. And vice versa.

This is why men get angry when they're upset and women cry when they're angry. It's so fucking broken.

7:26 pm  
Blogger Ailbhe said...

Oh, and he's not getting upset about "just football" - that's what all the transference of the fans is about. He's getting upset about his major project in his career, which he's spent [timeperiod] working towards. He might be about to be sacked, or think he ought in all honor offer to resign, or godknowswhat - but any workplace failure of that magnitude is going to be upsetting.

What's "just football" and harder to understand is the *fans* who cry. That seems to be to be transference.

7:28 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Actually, as an example man, I can show emotion at other times such as when my wife hasn't made my sandwiches or ironed my shirts!

12:32 am  
Blogger beth said...

Daphne, I think yours is a much kinder and more humane response to John Terry's reaction than many I've come across on the interweb and I thank you for it. Everyone seems to know exactly how everyone else 'should' be behaving these days, and I don't much like it.

ailbhe - as one who will very possibly be weeping tomorrow, just let me get on with it eh?

5:44 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

I'm with you, Beth, although if we lose tomorrow, being a man, I'll presumably have to go through some sort of transference event and become angry.

I'd much rather bawl into my Piglet pillowcase....or my 'fan'ny bag' as it will be known from now on.

6:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home