Monday, April 28, 2008

Tough Assignment

I'm prepared to make sacrifices for medical research, so was interested to hear that the Professor of Diet and Health at the University of East Anglia is looking for women volunteers for a difficult trial.

It involves eating a bar of chocolate every day, to see if the flavonoids it contains will give protection from heart disease to women with Type 2 diabetes.

What are flavonoids? Who cares? They are things you find in chocolate that help to get rid of the stuff that blocks up your arteries. That's all you need to know.

So they're giving a control group ordinary chocolate, with flavonoids in, and another group special chocolate, with even more flavonoids in, and the self-sacrificing women involved will have to eat a bar of one or the other every day for a year.

As I read the criteria, I realised that I'm in with a chance.

You have to be:
Female - YESSSSSSSSS! Got all the curvy bits and everything.
Suffer from Type 2 diabetes - Unfortunately, afraid so.
Taking statins to reduce cholesterol - Yes! 40mg a day of the things. They like diabetics to have low cholesterol and mine is Three. Which is Low. Hurrah.
Likely to be selected for astronaut training any day now - Well, obviously, this is extremely likely as you'll realise if you read my post from t'other day. I think it must surely help, so I put it in although they don't actually list it as a requirement.
Post-menopausal - - ah, damn, I don't fit this one. That probably rules me out, then. Pah.

Anyway, I haven't eaten chocolate for ages - since Christmas, probably, and that was only a bit - because my doctor - hey, what do they know? - tells me it's bad for me. And I really hardly eat sweet things at all much these days.

So, in preparation, just in case they want me for this trial anyway, I selflessly tried a few squares of my old favourite, Cadbury's Dairy Milk. It should have been bliss, but instead it was just mildly enjoyable. Perhaps all that stuff they tell you about how your tastes will change is actually true. And I think I've put on half a stone just thinking about it.

If you're interested, you need to email Dr Peter Curtis, the study co-ordinator at FLAVO@uea.ac.uk, or ring the study nurse Andrea Brown on 01603 288570. But they're only looking for 150 volunteers and I have a feeling they won't be too difficult to find.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

Well I fit the final criterion, Daphne, so maybe we could apply as a team and have half a bar each!

10:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home