Wednesday, April 23, 2008

At Last, Spring

At last, after a seemingly endless period of cold weather, it seems to be Spring.

And as I walked through Gledhow Woods yesterday, I marvelled, as I do every year, at the sudden beauty of it all, even in city woodland.

Sunshine and green grass.

New leaves and bluebells coming out.

Little clusters of wood anemones.

And, nestling in the undergrowth:

Great heaps of litter.

Why do we seem to accept this kind of thing when other countries don't? What's wrong with us?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always your timing, particularly in your writing, is impeccable. It's crazy that this country can fine people for putting too many things in their own bin
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7360147.stm)
but doesn't condemn people enough for leaving their litter in public places.

11:22 pm  
Blogger mutikonka said...

I noticed that on my last visit to Britain. Distributing all that litter actually looks like hard work. Why do people do it?

6:42 am  
Blogger MrsG said...

Yeah, it's pretty grim!!
Lovely woodland pictures though... when The Dude and I lived in Leeds, we used to go walking in Roundhay Park a lot, and maybe I just watch too much CSI but I was always kind of expecting to find a body in the undergrowth...

10:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home