Thursday, May 08, 2008

Back to Black

According to a survey, apparently, she is the person that most girls aged under twenty-five would like to be.

So either the survey's wrong, or most girls under twenty-five are deeply stupid.

For, seriously, would anyone in their right mind want to be Amy Winehouse? To have her talent, perhaps: to have her life - - - oh, never. But she's a fantastic singer: when I heard Back to Black on the radio for the first time it already sounded like a classic to me.

Watching the What Really Happened? television programme made me understand one reason why I like Back to Black so much: she's very much influenced by the female singers of the 1960s and so it sounds, to me, like a Proper Song.

It's easy to blame the bad-boy husband Blake Fielder-Civil. Of course he's not entirely to blame: but he hasn't exactly helped to stop her taking drugs, has he? And okay, many women find a bit of a bad-boy image attractive, though I've never really been one of them. But, oh, for goodness' sake, it's possible to take it too far, and both he and Amy are heading for a drink and drugs-induced death unless something stops them. Their caricatures on Headcases are just not funny: they're too accurate.

If I met her, I wouldn't like her and she wouldn't like me. I don't understand the desire to take drugs and never have, and that's just me and if it means I'm not cool, I don't care. And the world is so full of people with very little talent doing their best with it - and there's mega-talented Amy, throwing it all away, and I want to yell at her. But I also feel sorry for her and there's a bit of me that wants to make her a cup of tea and ask her where it all went wrong.

She doesn't seem able to write a song without experiencing the torment first. And this song moves me every time: I love it. I don't know why it affects me so much, since my life and experiences have been so different from hers and - luckily, I know - I've never been through a messy relationship such as she describes in the song. Songs with strong emotions do tend to get to me, I know.

But I don't like the video. I have to listen with my eyes closed and I recommend that you do the same.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

She's like the Paul Gascoigne of the pop world. I would love to take her over my knee and give her a right good spanking before trying to give her a dose of good Yorkshire common sense but when all is said and done, she's a Londoner and they're all bloody stupid down there! Does she actually write songs? I thought others made em for her!

10:41 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

I know what you mean about it being like a 60s song, Daphne. I found it difficult to distinguish the words actually (may be my headphones) but quite liked the music. As YP says, she is like the Paul Gascoigne of the pop world - on a self-destruct mission.

7:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home