Friday, November 09, 2007

On Not Blessing You

In his comment on my previous post, Silverback wrote the word "bless" and mentioned that I'm now in credit for my next sneeze.

Generally, when you sneeze in this country, the response is "Bless you". Occasionally people say "Gesundheit" which is German for "Good Health".

I've always thought that it was something to do with an old legend that the soul leaves the body when you sneeze, so the "Bless you" sends it straight back in again. And, according to the ever-accurate Wikipedia, there is another legend that your heart stops when you sneeze, and in several parts of the world you say something to do with "good health" to start it up again.

Wikipedia also points out that saying "Bless you" when someone sneezes is a "socially obligated response". And it's correct on this one - it's very rare that you sneeze in company and someone doesn't say it.

But I don't say it. And the reason I don't say it is because my mother doesn't say it and my father doesn't say it. It's not just that I wasn't brought up to say it - it's that I was brought up not to say it.

The Communist, in particular, thought it was something to do with both superstition and religion, neither of which he wants any truck with: and I think my mother, in her quieter, less forceful way, agrees with him on this one.

I couldn't start saying "Bless you" now when someone sneezes - it feels too uncomfortable and unusual, too alien to me. So, if you sneeze and you're surprised when I don't say it, that's why: and I apologise, but I just can't. And if someone says it when I sneeze, I feel rather touched - as if I've been given a little present.

1 Comments:

Blogger MrsG said...

I say it as a knee-jerk reflex, to family, friends, strangers on the bus... When I occasionally suppress the urge to blurt it out to some poor unfortunate it sort of catches in my throat and sticks there - it feels much like not saying Thank You. Funny, what odd things Manners are.

9:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home