Monday, November 05, 2007

Minor Miracles

Even minor miracles are very cheering: they don't happen often. Here are two that have happened to me.

One day a few years ago I decided to give the spare room a very thorough spring clean - as well as doing the obvious things like dusting and hoovering, I cleaned everything from the lampshades to the skirting-board to the windows and tidied all the vasty heaps of Junk so it was as near to immaculate as is ever possible in this house.

In the evening a long-lost friend knocked on the door out of the blue, having just found herself in the area. Could she by any chance stay with us for the night? I showed her to the immaculate spare room, trying by my expression to convey "Oh yes, it always looks like this."

Today's little miracle involved my car, which needed its MOT doing, and I needed a garage to do it, and to service it. I rang a local garage which I've never used before.

"I'll collect it on Monday morning," he said. And he did.
"I'll ring you if it needs any major work," he said.

He didn't ring me, so obviously I was expecting to have to ring him later on, and him to say he hadn't looked at it yet, and me to ring him again, and him to say "ohhhhh, well, I'm afraid that'll be four new tyres and a new engine - - "
In fact, he brought it back at four o'clock, having serviced it and done its MOT.
"Nothing major at all," he said.

With trembling hands I wrote him a cheque for Really Not Very Much.
Hurrah for minor miracles.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - a garage that collects and delivers your car having done a service and MOT - that strikes me as the real miracle. I can't help feeling particularly pleased for you as I know how you got that car. Excellent.

7:17 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

Miracles deserve adjectives.

The spare room one had to be 'timely'.

The garage one had to be 'unbelievably, incredibly bloody amazing'. The mechanic didn't look like Michael Landon did he ???

Hang on to that place. It's a keeper.

7:22 pm  
Blogger John said...

now, I don't want to piss on your chips, but I've seen the films, and given the political bias inherent in your masthead don't you think it's a bit too good?

Don't you think Government Agencies might be at work here?

Especially since you've so recently joined Faceback.

Threat to National Security, homing devices need fitting, movements tracked...

either that or NPQH are getting nervous.

8:16 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Thank you all for your comments - I'm
slightly worried about the garage now and he's servicing my mother's car on Thursday. By "servicing" I think I probably mean "fitting secret cameras and tape recorders".
It's back to the good old days of the 1960s when the Communist was convinced our phone was tapped (it may well have been) and I always used to begin conversations with my friends with sentences such as "The swallows are about to fly".

8:48 pm  
Blogger Diz said...

Well, at least you got your car BACK!

9:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home