Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Feu de Bon

They were burning some old furniture last night at my friends' bonfire and it made some very interesting shapes:
We didn't have fireworks, just some good people and a bit of food and a few drinks. But we're always very fortunate at such bonfires because, if Ninon is there, she plays music, and it's delightful:
As we stood there in the dark, faces red and hot, backs cold, we mused that this is what it must always have been like for people for thousands and thousands of years. Red faces and cold backs must have been the norm in winter - if you were fortunate enough to have a fire - and the only time you got all-round warmth was in summer.

Even when I was a child - - not THAT long ago, honestly - I remember rolling and twisting newspaper to make kindling for my grandparents' fire in their hearth.

But now we expect central heating almost everywhere. Warm faces and warm backs. How quickly we adjust to luxury.

2 Comments:

Blogger beth said...

Oh yes - I remember 'helping' my dad make sticks out of newspaper for the fire.
And being told if I sat too close to it I'd get chilblains.
And it being freezing when you moved out of the front room...do people still get ice on the inside of their windows?

1:10 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Yes, I remember all that too, and it wasn't so long ago - - but recent winters have been so warm that ice on the inside of the windows is rapidly fading in the memory!

10:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home