Sunday, November 04, 2007

Second Life

Second Life "provides an online society within a 3D world, where users can explore, build, socialize and participate in their own economy".

It's a website. In case you haven't heard of it, you create a character - called an avatar - to enter into this world. And there you can do all sorts of things - get a job, meet people, build a house, buy and sell things, start a business- - You can, for example, build a butterfly and then write code that gets it to follow you around.

It's very clever and it has given Man the chance to have a second go at building paradise.

And a second chance to mess it all up.

Once you've built your butterfly you can then sell it to other residents for the unit of currency which is Linden dollars. And then you can trade the Linden dollars for real dollars. Now why didn't that come as a surprise to me?

Millions of users are in Second Life all the time. I heard an article on the radio the other day about it. Someone had gone to the supermarket in Second Life as an undercover investigator and found that, behind a secret wall in the supermarket, you can buy cute little Second Life girl children. For sex.

On the radio they interviewed a woman who had started a Christian newspaper in Second Life. The interviewer asked her whether she knew about such dark sides of the website.
"Oh yes," she said, "because a friend of mine is a policewoman in Second Life and is investigating it."

The idea behind Second Life is clever, but I am sure that there are millions of people out there who are addicted to it: whose First Life is going completely to the wall whilst they're busy with the virtual one.

The internet is truly wonderful, but open to all sorts of strange things, and I think that Second Life is - or is becoming - one of them.

I haven't given you the link to it - you can find it quite easily, should you wish - but I looked at their introduction. And it gives me the creeps.

2 Comments:

Blogger MrsG said...

I have steered clear of Second Life because I suspect I could be one of those people who completely neglects real life in favour of the virtual one. I've been playing SIMS 2: Castaway on the PS2 recently and it's pretty much eaten up my waking hours - and that's just a desert island!

8:53 am  
Blogger Silverback said...

I'm addicted to SIM 3: Pigaway.
It's a virtual dessert island.

Ian

2:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home