Saturday, September 29, 2007

Dreaming the Future

I watched one of those human-interest documentaries on Channel Five, out of pure kindness, so you don't have to. It was called something like The Man Who Dreams the Future. They all have titles like that, don't they? The Boy With Three Legs. The Girl Who Turned Green. They're all dreadful. But I'm a sucker for anything like that so, worse, I recorded it and watched it late last night.

It was about a man who looked like a second-hand car salesman, and one played by Ricky Gervais at that, and I distrusted him on sight. He told us all about the dreams he'd had that have come true. He dreamed, for example, about the planes crashing into the Twin Towers.

But, unfortunately, dreams like that tend to be a teensy bit non-specific. It's all "a plane crashing into a tall building and there were lots of flames". If he'd marched into a police station three days before it all and given the place, the time and the names of those responsible, I'd have even forgiven him his truly terrible shorts.

The last chunk of the programme was where the family of a poor girl lost in a plane crash in the desert in the USA asked him to try to dream the location of where she is. He dreamed a location! They flew round in a helicopter looking for it! They found it! Was the plane there? - - er - - no.

But hey, I know I tend to be a bit of a born sceptic, so I thought I'd open my mind a crack and give his method a go. What he does is write a question down before he goes to sleep and hope his dreams will answer it, though he seems to be quite liberal with his interpretations. "Cups always mean dead people."

So I tried it. Before I went to sleep I asked for a dream about the future, though I said I didn't want anything unpleasant. And it worked, at least partly. A short time later, there we were, me and David Bowie, sitting on a speckly green sofa, discussing his most recent film, which I had helped with in some unspecified capacity.

I told David Bowie all about how I first heard Life on Mars in my friend Fran's kitchen, many years ago, and thought it was great.

"Glad you liked it," he said, "but isn't this sofa hideous?"

When this happens in real life, you may be sure I'll tell you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

I seem to remember sitting on a green sofa just like that last Tuesday.

Or maybe it was just a dream.

Ian

10:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David Bowie's next film will be 'August' (released 2008)

IMDB says: "August centers on two brothers fighting to keep their start-up company afloat on Wall Street during August 2001, a month before the 9/11 terrorist attacks."

Did you know or is that just a tiny bit spookily coincidental?

Don't know about the green sofa though.

11:02 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

I didn't know that, Ruth - - yes, spooky indeed! When Mr Bowie rings me I will try not to say "oh yes, course you're David Bowie, ha ha, very funny" and then hang up.

11:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home