Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Another Grand Day Out

Few villages know how to nestle in their valleys as well as Kettlewell does. Here it is, nestling in Wharfedale in the Yorkshire Dales.

My friend David and did one of our one-day Escapes from Leeds today, and started walking in Kettlewell in the sunshine. It was freezing cold this morning, and there was a very strong wind, so we walked along the river to Starbotton, rather than trying to climb up onto the hills.

It's not at all a difficult walk - last time we went up the side of the valley and walked along the tops which was much harder - but even so I was aware of being less fit than usual: visiting the Communist in hospital has cut into my leisure time, of course, and much of it used to be spent walking.

Here's the river Wharfe on the way:

We arrived at Starbotton, a delightful village with an excellent pub where we partook of light snacks. Steak and ale pie with chips and vegetables and apple crumble and custard was my repast of choice (where are the Government posters proclaiming "Apple Crumble! One of Your Five a Day!"?) The pub is clearly used to starving hikers.

Here's Starbotton:

Fortified with all that food, we found a path parallel to the road and walked back along it to Kettlewell, across moorland and woodland.

It was a lovely day. I plan to do more of this sort of thing.










1 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

Pick me, pick me.

Mind you I'd insist on bringing my hover boots as it all sounds a tad strenuous. Maybe I'd just save you a bench at that pub.

Then if you have any more of those light (ha !) meals you can borrow the hover boots and I'll steer you back to the car park.

Lovely photo of Kettlewell as I know it can be a tricky shot.

Ian

12:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home