Thursday, September 27, 2007

It's Time

While I was at the hospital today, the Vascular Man turned up in a suit, looking Important. He is the next one down from the Very Very Important Surgeon, who is currently on holiday in Spain.

Vascular Man explained, very clearly and very well, that it is the Communist's choice as to whether or not his right leg is amputated.

If the leg remains, the Communist could come out of hospital: but the painkillers aren't always killing the pain. Also there's the risk of gangrene.

If the leg is removed, then it's 99% certain that the Communist will never walk again, because to walk with a prosthetic leg takes lots of effort and the Communist probably isn't strong enough.

It is very likely that the Communist will survive the operation. Which, by the way, won't be done under general anaesthetic, oh no, far too dangerous. It will be done with an epidural, as when women are giving birth. So the Communist will be wide awake.

After the operation, there is an 80% chance that he will recover and go home. Which means that there's a 20% chance that he won't.

And if the operation does go ahead, they will need to stop the Warfarin (which he's on to thin his blood and prevent blood clots.)

"I'd have it done if it were me," I said, "because it brings risks but it also brings the chance of a greater quality of life."

"It's an individual decision," said the Vascular Man. "Some people say that they came into this world with two legs and they're going to leave it with two."

"Well, that's not what I'd think," I said.

"Nor me," said the Communist. "I'm having it done. I've decided."

"Right then," said the Vascular Man. "We'll schedule it for early next week. We'll stop the Warfarin today."

Blimey. That brought it home to me, all right.

"He's determined to pull through," said David later, "because of Emily and Gareth's wedding. He's not planning on popping his clogs before that."

He paused for a moment. "Well - - clog."

We all laughed. Some things are too serious to cry about.

2 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

Ok you've posted twice in one day and that's just greedy. It's also meant I've missed this little gem until now and it does not deserve to go uncommented.

That doesn't sound quite right but I'll leave it in.

As well as being informative, the joke at the end was priceless. I laughed out loud and I've not done that since I got my last rates bill.

Ian

10:24 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Your Dad sounds like a fantastic person. All my good wishes for a successful operation.

8:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home