Friday, September 28, 2007

Pause for Thought

When I'm in the car in the mornings I listen to the radio. The stations to which I listen depend upon my mood.

If I want to hear a serious discussion about the Government's policies, I listen to Radio Four. If I want to hear that lovely duet from The Pearl Fishers - again - I listen to Classic FM (and sometimes I do want to hear it. Because it is lovely. It's just that they play it three times an hour). If I want to hear Serious Classical Music I listen to Radio Three. If I want to feel like an old fogey I listen to Radio One (though not for long, it must be said).

And - now we're getting to it - if I want to listen to inane banter and chart hits past and present, I listen to Radio Two. AND SOMETIMES I DO, so there. Nothing wrong with it. I'm only a little bit ashamed. But wait! There I am getting my guilty fix of Gloria Gaynor singing I Will Survive and Terry Wogan or someone flirting gently with the traffic woman and then suddenly, out of the blue, comes

"And now it's time for this morning's Pause for Thought, and this morning it's Kevin Bumpkin, Vicar of St Mary's, Little Giddings. And how are you this morning, Kevin?"

And Kevin starts telling us he's very well thank you but after five seconds of that he's into his broadcasting-on-the-radio voice with just a bit TOO MUCH warmth and humour and everything OVER-EMPHASISED SLIGHTLY just to show that although he's a Vicar he's just like a REAL PERSON, except one who wants to tell us a dreary anecdote about how when he was watching The X-Factor last Saturday (oh, yes, he watches it, just like a real person) he started thinking about the poor people of Zimbabwe and how they used to sing when he was over there blah blah wonderful singing blah blah troubled country blah blah trite conclusion blah blah world peace.

Has it not occurred to them that I was listening to Radio Two because I didn't want to think for a bit? And that if I wanted to pause for thought I would turn the radio off?

I might start a Campaign for the Abolition of Pause for Thought. Anyone out there campaigning to keep it?

2 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

Lemme think about that one, Daphne !

12:11 am  
Blogger krip said...

I tend to choose the radio station that plays music. Listening to the inane drivel that the majority of DJ's waffle on about drives me up the wall. The sanctimonious and condescending crap they produce is enough to turn me to religion. Perish the thought.

10:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home