Friday, September 28, 2007

Bleeping

I've just watched Mock the Week, which is an irreverent quiz programme about the week's news. This week's was an amalgam of the funny bits that hadn't made it to the previous shows in the series.

The word "fucking" was allowed. The word "cunt" (oh yes, all those years at Lip-Reading College have paid off) was bleeped out.

I do wonder who bleeped it. And why they reckon that the presence of The C-Word (as I have heard it coyly called, errgh) is going to corrupt those watching this programme, shown after the nine o'clock watershed.

In the same programme was a joke stating that, instead of a concert, a more appropriate tribute, summing up the essence of Diana, would have been a gang-bang in a minefield. Stunned silence from the audience who didn't quite know how to react to this tasteless joke about the D-word.

Actually, I didn't think that particular joke was very funny - a bit contrived - but hey, I think there has to be a place for thoroughly tasteless humour on television. And surely that joke has to be more offensive than the word cunt? Surely if you were the type of person who was going to be offended by the word, you wouldn't be watching the programme in the first place?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I thought that was hilarious...

11:39 pm  
Blogger MrsG said...

I laughed all the way through - so 'fuck' is allowed if it's a clip show then... Thought the Diana joke was tasteless (but shockingly funny) and I particularly liked "there's nowhere I want to be so much that I am willing to be fired at it at 700 miles an hour in a tube full of other people's farts"... certainly puts travelling into perspective!

9:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home