Monday, April 26, 2010

Stark Naked in Finland

Ahhhh yes, they're a liberated lot in the Far North. All that sitting around starkers in saunas. Here's Stephen's bathroom in the Hotel Torni, Helsinki, Finland.

And what do we notice about it?

Yes, clear glass doors to the shower and the loo.

Would you get that anywhere in Britain? I'd be willing to bet my whole herd of reindeer that nowhere in Britain is a hotel with clear glass doors on its ensuite bathroom. We Brits are just - - well -- shy. There were a few comments about it in the visitors' book in the room:

In case you can't read this one, it says:

"Cool! Wanna have the same shower cabin at home. Nothing wrong about showing off a bit."

Nothing wrong with it of course. Oh no. Everyone I know probably has a bit of nudity if they look under their clothes. But would I be comfortable staying in that room? No, I wouldn't. Why not? Because I'm a buttoned-up Brit, I suppose. Would you?

Anyway, Stephen has now been snatched away from all this, by means of a two and a half day journey - - ferry to Stockholm, train to Copenhagen, train to Koln, train to Brussels, Eurostar to London, train to Leeds. Back to Britain, where we disapprove of all nakedness and where we're sewn into our vests from October to March, and quite right too.

4 Comments:

Blogger aerate harsh ladle said...

I have no problem with nudity, in spite of being a Brit, but I draw the line at a completely see-through bathroom, especially the loo! Would I want to see someone - even someone I have known for years and years - having a poo? No.

No objection to the Continental culture of mixed-sex changing areas, and saunas though. And no-one should use a sauna anything but naked!

6:49 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

'Sewn into vests from October to March' - and how does Stephen view that prospect, now that he has 'seen the other side'???

10:07 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

People who poo in glass en suites shouldn't throw wobblers.

1:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obviously Stephen (and previous guests) didn't find the switch to turn on the liquid crystal osbcurant...
Lucy

8:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home