Monday, April 19, 2010

Under a Bit of a Cloud

Stephen is still in Finland. He knows a lot about forests and reindeer now.

He is booked to come back to Britain on a plane on Thursday, which may or may not fly.

If it doesn't, he will try the boat-and-train route on Friday. And a glance at this reminds us just how fast planes are.

To get back this way could involve an overnight ferry to Stockholm in Sweden and then a train to Copenhagen in Denmark. Then an overnight train to Koln, then a train to Brussels, then Eurostar to London and then a train to Leeds.

Well, I know Stephen would like to travel more but I don't think that this was the kind of thing that he had in mind.

You can learn more about the volcano from this blog: The Iceland Weather Report (that's not actually all it's about!) and there are some great photos too.

Meanwhile, here in Blighty, I have had a very interesting afternoon with a group of delightful and very hard-working Malaysian medical students. We tried to explain the word "malaise" to them and suddenly realised that they thought it must be something to do with their country!

And this evening I am far more tired than I would have expected to be so I think everything must be catching up with me. I'm not sure exactly what "everything" is but it feels like there's quite a lot of it!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Milo said...

Ah, Finland really is at the far end of Europe so I can see how tough it must be to make that journey. My work colleagues who were stuck are now back (one was stuck in Vienna, the other in Azerbaijan!). Hope for everyone's sake the flights resume soon.

9:44 pm  
Anonymous Tanya said...

I vill not let Stephen go. He's a is my sauna friend. We vill be heading north to the reindeerland. You can be finding a Suomi man at your airport. Hev nice day.

1:03 am  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I have never been to Helsinki but I did spend a whole month in Stockholm back in 1969 when I was working at IBM Sweden in Lidingö (which is pronounced Leeding-uh and not Luh-dingo as you might think). I also landed briefly at the Copenhagen airport.

But the question is: How does one go by train from Stockholm to Copenhagen? Sweden and Denmark are separated by open water except for the E20 between Malmö and København (Copenhagen), which appears to be solely for cars, trucks, and buses. Or is there a Scandinavian Chunnel?

Inquiring minds want to know.

1:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home