Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Spring at Last

Righto, it's officially Spring.

Well, maybe not officially but I think it is Spring. It's got a lot warmer. Crocuses along the sides of the roads. Daffodils in jam jars (the Communist always called any vase a "jam jar") on the dining-room mantelpiece and in the kitchen. When I got up to go swimming this morning, it was light. When I came home from the University this week, it was still light.

The days when I wondered whether I'd be able to go swimming, or whether there'd be too much snow to drive through on the way, seem a world away. Arriving at the swimming-pool in the misty, orangey sunrise and being careful at every step because of the ice seems a long time ago now. Coming home from the University in the pitch dark seems like another world.

It's been a long, long hard winter. The grass, which spent a lot of time covered in snow, is a sad greyish colour that I don't remember seeing before. As I've mentioned previously, there are far fewer birds about and I hope they can make up the numbers in the coming breeding season.

Winter was all very picturesque when it snowed - - but I know what I like and it's this kind of thing:

Sunshine, warmth, Spring flowers, green leaves, a path leading to a great view (and a pub lunch afterwards). And I'd like it to be around the end of May, please - as this was - with congenial company, glorious weather and all the Summer to come.

And then, my cup runneth over. Oh, hurrah for the coming of Spring.

3 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Stay off the red wine dear!

2:20 am  
Anonymous Flowers said...

That must be a peaceful place to take a photowalk. Lovely shots. keep on posting some more blogs like this.

9:16 am  
Blogger Jennytc said...

The best time of the year is the beginning of spring - just beginning to get warmer, plants struggling into action and the prospect of months of ever improving weather and lengthening days to look forward to...
we hope!

9:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home