Saturday, December 12, 2009

Unusual Christmas Decorations

It's nearly Christmas, of course, and Leeds has the usual Christmas lights, German market etc. There are quite a few decorated Christmas trees too and at one end of the side road we're on, some delightful revellers decided to decorate our neighbours' hedge:

Infuriating! I SO hate litter.

At the other end of the street, however, someone had placed a rather large bauble on the old Victorian railings:

And, for some reason, in contrast, this rather appealed to me - it had a look of cheeky naughtiness to it, and I like that.

Many of the houses round here were built in Victorian times, including ours, and looking at these railings made me remember that there used to be such railings on the top of our front wall, before we ever lived here.

But where are they now? Melted down during the war, that's where they went, supposedly to build planes and ships and things to combat Hitler.

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that a lot of this old ironwork wasn't actually used - it was just a propaganda exercise to make people feel that they were doing something useful.

If this Government wanted to do something useful, (oh! subtle link there Daphne!) it could set about dealing with the British litter problem, as all our lovely country is gradually getting buried under heaps of plastic and paper.

And, at the same time, it could give me my railings back.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Milo said...

I also hate litter. More so than seeing the litter, what I really loathe is the litterER. In London it's certain types of people but I won't go there.

95% of it is upbringing. If you were brought up in life to respect yourself and your surroundings you're unlikely to be the type that litters (especially as an adult).

6:01 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Don't get bitter about litter! Instead you could twitter - it would make you fitter you weird Leeds critter! Oh hell I can hear a gritter outside!

12:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home