Tuesday, December 08, 2009

So, what would he say?

So, what would he say?

The Communist, I mean, on the first anniversary of his death.

He'd say "Don't go making yourself miserable by remembering the day I died. I hated anniversaries like that and I never remembered them. Remember all the trouble I got into with the family because I wouldn't have a gravestone for my mother? She was just like me and she didn't want one either. Remember me when I was alive, not for being dead."

He'd say, "Jolly good job I labelled everything in the filing cabinet. Your mother's still putting things behind the clock, isn't she? She hasn't got any better at dealing with things in her old age, has she?"

He'd say, "Did you see on the Nine o'clock News last night about Gordon Brown? Lunacy, I tell you, it's lunacy!" And then, in spite of my evident lack of interest, he'd go on to tell me about it for twenty minutes.

He'd say, "You know how I used to start sentences with When I'm Not Around Any More - - and tell you all about where everything is? Jolly good job I did."

He'd say "Shall I sing a song? Which one would you like?" and then, without waiting for an answer, he'd start straight off with A capital ship for an ocean trip was the Walloping Window Blind! Or, if in political mood - and he often was - it would be Avanti o populo, Alla riscossa! Bandiera rossa! Bandiera rossa!

He'd say, "Look after your mother."

He'd say "Don't be ridiculous. There's no life after death. If I could say anything - and I can't, because I'm dead - I'd just want to be alive again. Because I really enjoyed it."

I miss him.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

{hugs}

Julie paradox

(hey, here's another one: vabble.)

9:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can still wake up thinking I haven't been to see my dad for a while... and then remember that's because he's dead... and has been for over 25 years.
Strange how much hold they have over us.
Hang on to all those thoughts and memories, that's what keeps them alive.
Lucy

10:12 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Hugs from me too. What a wonderful, down-to-earth man your Dad was.

2:36 am  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Who would need a gravestone when his memory is etched in his daughter's heart so beautifully?

3:28 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

You make me miss him too, and I never met him.

3:49 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments - they are SO much appreciated, and I mean that.

8:56 pm  
Blogger mutikonka said...

I miss my dad around this time of year. He was a very devout Catholic, but at the same time, a very 'flat cap' Yorkshireman. He talked about death as if it was liking moving to Ilkley.

10:18 am  
Anonymous maggiS said...

and I was feeling guilty this week because the 13th anniversay of my dads death had slipped past without me noticing...and of course his response would have been similar to your dad's..thankyou for the reminder. bon courage...

10:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He might say, don't make the mistake I made. Seek God and his son Jesus.

Ther is Life after Death! And, I am so miserable here in HELL.

And, spread the word to everyone you know.

10:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home