Monday, November 30, 2009

Kate Moss's Diet Advice

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels," said the model Kate Moss recently, and got into quite a lot of trouble for inciting young girls to anorexia.

But is she right? Well, I don't know. I've only ever been skinny once, and that was because I'd been horribly ill for two months. So skinny didn't feel good to me, on that occasion. I felt incredibly weak and about to keel over. And that was because - - well, I was incredibly weak and about to keel over.

Yes, I'm sure skinny does feel good, for some people, if it's "elegant catwalk model skinny". But I'd never be like that and I'd like to argue that not many of us would.

But some people, I'm convinced, just aren't interested in food much. Now I don't particularly crave any kind of fancy food - - but I've always enjoyed food. And if I happened to be a catwalk model, all I'd be thinking about is "When I've finished parading around in these frocks, I'm off for steak and chips."

I don't think Kate Moss thinks like that. And, of course, she smokes, which may help to keep her thin but I'm not sure "reeks of smoke" is an attractive quality.

Another thing I read recently was "After a certain age, women often have to choose between their body and their face".

Charming. Since, whatever that certain age is, I'm sure I'm hurtling past it if indeed I haven't already hurtled. It meant that you either have a podgy body or a wrinkly face.

Actually, I don't have many wrinkles and this is useful to me as I often play women who are younger than me in my medical roleplay work. I play rather podgy women younger than me, granted. But younger, okay? Because I don't have many wrinkles!

So, to conclude. I am including a few extra calories in my generally healthy diet, in order selflessly to ensure that my body doesn't get too skinny, merely in order to keep my face in all its shining youthfulness (say nothing, now) purely for the benefit of my work.

Admirable, I think you'll agree. Are there any roast potatoes left, by any chance?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Milo said...

I absolutely love food. Everything from fish and chips, cakes, pastis, pies, etc, through to exotic international dishes, curries, roasts. And I love pretty much all snack food.

BUT. As you'll know from following my blog for several years, I lost a lot of weight between 1 and 1.5 years ago. Not through dieting. I can't stand dieting. But mostly through exercise - a lot of it. I was going to the gym and doing a lot of cardio 3x a week. The weight fell off.

The guilty, harsh truth is that I preferred how I looked back then to how I do now. I'm 6ft. I'm about 12.5 stone now and I was about 11.5 stone a year ago. Sure. Lots of people said I'd gone too far - I was 'very slim', etc. And deep down I knew that I'd perhaps lost a bit too much. But I liked how I felt. I also fully realise that 12.5 is not a lot - but - I have a very slender build. I'm only a 38" chest which, at its most simple, means I can't carry weight. So now it's all on my chest and stomach. Not 'enormous' amounts. But I wobble now. I feel my stomach getting in the way when I reach down to do up a shoelace, for example. And you know what? I don't much like it. It's not really about arbitrary numbers to do with weight - it's about body image and how you feel.

So, whilst I am totally against the stick thin 'size zero' brigade - I'd be lying if I said it doesn't feel good to be slim. It gives you more confidence, that's part of it.

8:41 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

Steak and chips...now that's a diet I could follow!

9:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Body weight: now that's a serious issue... or is it a 'feminist issue'?

I've always been about the same weight plus or minus 2 or 3 pounds. But once, when there was very serious illnes in our family, I lost a lot of weight. What's more I took distinct enjoyment in watching it fall off and became able to understand anorexia.

In the middle of the crisis, this was the one thing I could control: scary

10:26 pm  
Anonymous Jo said...

I don't feel I can comment against eating, I just had a chocolate milkshake for breakfast!

9:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Victoria Principal (Pammy in Dallas for those of us with long memories) used to say: When I see cheese, I see fat.

Since reading that, cheese has never had the same appeal for me.

11:15 am  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Kate Moss is of course from the moss family. Mosses can be either dioicous (compare dioecious in seed plants) or monoicous (compare monoecious). In dioicous mosses, male and female sex organs are borne on different gametophyte plants. In monoicous (also called autoicous) mosses, both are borne on the same plant. In the presence of water, sperm from the antheridia swim to the archegonia and fertilisation occurs, leading to the production of a diploid sporophyte. The sperm of mosses is biflagellate, i.e. they have two flagellae that aid in propulsion. Since the sperm must swim to the archegonium, fertilisation cannot occur without water. So there!

6:45 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

All you have to do is look at a woman and any moron can see that she is not mono- anything, she is definitely di-.

About biflagellate sperm I have absolutely nothing to say.

Daphne, my prayers are with you as we learn more and more about your readers.

8:20 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

I mentioned to my Doc recently that I'd like to take a bit of weight off. She said "Hmmm, just a little then, two or three kilos, but not too much because once you're past the menopause, you need a bit of fat because that's where your estrogen is stored, and that helps to keep you young, both in looks, and inside.

I'm 60 kg and 5'4" (sorry to mix the measurements)

4:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home