Thursday, May 14, 2009

Up in the Lakes

Although Silverback and I were staying with my lovely relative Amy in Barrow, we spent quite a bit of time in the nearby Lake District.

And it was, as always, glorious. Spring greens at Tarn Hows:

The restored steam yacht Gondola on Coniston Water:

High fells:

Scraggy sheep:

Wonderful walls:

Simple and delicious food in pubs and cafes:

And my favourite spot on the River Esk: it's been my favourite spot since childhood, when we used to swim in the pools, which are much deeper than they look.

The Lake District is stunning: and with good weather - which we had, generally - it's even better. It's been a really splendid four days, and many thanks to Silverback for his most congenial company, to Amy, wonderful Amy. for her tremendous hospitality, as always, and to all my relatives in Barrow for being such Very Good Things.

4 Comments:

Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I wandered lonely as a cloud through your post and by the time I had finished, I was dancing with the Daffy's Fells.

3:57 pm  
Anonymous Milo said...

OMG I'm salivating over the full English! Love that! Haven't had one in far far too long either.

5:16 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

How lovely!

2:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We recently stayed in a Cottage For Rent in The Lake District which we booked as a last minute "getaway" weekend break, and had a fantastic time. Everything you say is true - it really is the most peaeful place you could ever want to be. Already planning on a return visit!

4:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home