Sunday, March 22, 2009

On Cumbrian Beaches

When I was in Florida (oh here we go, she's mentioning it AGAIN) I loved the strong, bright colours, the lush green vegetation, the white sand, the bright blue sky and - especially - the palm trees.

This weekend in Britain, Spring had sprung - for a little while anyway - and I was in Barrow-in-Furness collecting my mother who'd been staying there with our wonderful cousin Amy for a week.

I got a strong reminder of what I love about the scenery here, and, particularly, the Cumbrian beaches, since my mother (84 nearly 85), Amy (84 nearly 85) and I spent a large part of the day walking on them in the sunshine. So different from Florida - and yet so beautiful too.

One of the things I love about them is the colours and the shapes - - oh, that's two things. Anyway, here are some illustrations, of shapes and colours.

You can click on the photos if you'd like to enlarge them.


Wave patterns in the sand. They never cease to amaze me.

Water on the sand (and a couple of ducks too)

Water, sand, sky. The sea should be in the distance but had decided to disappear completely for a bit - I've rarely seen such a low tide. It had come back by this morning, luckily.

An old groyne on the beach

Dry grass in the sand dunes

Pieces of slate on the beach:

Yellow lichen on a piece of slate:

Baby sand dunes forming in pools on the beach.

Many of these were taken on Morecambe Bay, perhaps most recently known for the deaths of the Chinese cockle pickers - the tide comes in "at the speed of a galloping horse" and many people have been caught on sandbanks and drowned. But I love its wide, strange beauty.

3 Comments:

Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I'm not familiar with your Morecambe Bay, but its tides sound like those of the Bay of Fundy in Canada.

Those are some great photos. I love the textured sand that almost looks like a pattern on a piece of cloth....

12:27 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Or a giraffe.

12:28 pm  
Blogger Grumpy Old Ken said...

I seem to remember Barrow has a cracking maritime museum. You might like the article I did last year for a motorhome mag. (blog 9th May Morcambe by accident)

8:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home