Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Elland Road at Last

Top o' the morning to you! - - okay, it's evening, but it's still St Patrick's Day.

I've worked at lots of training and assessment events for doctors. There's usually tea and coffee available when you arrive, and today was no exception:

But what's all that green stuff in the background that looks remarkably like a football pitch?

Well, it's a football pitch, because today I was working at Leeds United's ground at Elland Road. I was interested to see it, because I've lived in Leeds for most of my life and never been there before.

We were working in the Executive Suites which have a terrific view of the whole pitch - here's the room where I was working:

If you look at the large letters on the seating, that's the Don Revie stand. After Don Revie got the job of England manager, Brian Clough spent 44 days as manager of Leeds United - - and this period will be portrayed on screen in the forthcoming feature film The Damned United - see the trailer here. It comes out on March 27, has some excellent actors in it and stars Martin Sheen as Brian Clough - - and one of the actors I work with, John Savage, plays Scottish footballer Gordon McQueen in the film. I'm looking forward to it.

I loved seeing the pitch and imagining all the seats packed and noisy! Whilst I was working I kept glancing over as people watered it and wandered about on it.

Of course, these aren't the glory days of Leeds United, sadly. However, thanks to Silverback, I generally know what team they're playing and what the score is. So when one of the doctors assessing the exam today mentioned that he is from Somerset and supports Yeovil Town, I remembered that Leeds played Yeovil very recently. The score? Four nil to Leeds. Yes, I did feel obliged to mention it, since you ask. Just in passing. No gloating at all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

You live in Leeds but you had never been to Elland Road before! Good Lord woman!Why not go a step further and buy a ticket for a match - especially if Leeds make the play-offs. Just a little clue - the object is to get the ball in the back of the net!

11:32 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

.....or a bulge in the old onion bag !

Champions League games (almost always featuring Man Utd of course) are shows here in the US and the infamous US commentator, Tommy Smyth, is fond of using that phrase to describe a goal. It's painful.

Daphne, it's so typical of you that the first time you go to Elland Rd, you see the pitch from the Director's Box. Did you leave a side door open for me like we agreed ?

1:38 am  
Blogger Daphne said...

YP - I've never been to Elland Road simply because I went to a girls' school, nobody ever taught me about soccer, and my husband wouldn't know Bobby Charlton if he tripped over him - - which, as a matter of fact, he once did.
Silverback - - oh yes, the side door's open and one of the executive boxes had a surreptitious change of name and is now the Silverback Suite. Okay?

8:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home