Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Baubles, Bangles and Beads

Every year there's a discussion about what's suitable for student doctors to wear whilst dealing with patients - or indeed, with simulated patients, because they need to practise their dress code as well as their other skills.

Every year, in the medical school, which is located somewhere in Great Britain, the problems vary because of what's in fashion. My perception of last year's students was that some of the blokes looked as though their clothes had been slept in - which was probably true. One or two of the young women seemed determined to reveal as much as possible of their breasts and thighs to what they clearly considered to be an eagerly waiting world. In the consultation I would rather too often find myself thinking "My goodness! Those must be a 38F at least!"

Does it matter? Well, only if it gets in the way of communicating with the patient, is my view of it - - and I think that extremes of dress, hair, make-up etc can do just that. Of course, when it comes to dress worn because of religion, that's a whole tricky minefield. I feel that sometimes we can be too sensitive to people's religious or cultural sensibilities - and, okay, perhaps I would say that because I'm not religious. But I feel that it's fine for the doctor to believe whatever they like - - as long as it doesn't put up a barrier between doctor and patient.

Then there's the jewellery thing.

Every year the student doctors have a session on how to wash their hands.

It sounds obvious - but, of course, they have to learn to make sure that their hands are sterile and hence have to learn how to do it in a special way so as to avoid passing on infection to the patients.

Really the students have to have their entire forearms sterile, and in previous years, there's always been a lot of complaining about this.

"But this bracelet was given to me by Great Aunt Gladys just before she died. I promised her I'd never take it off."

"But I've been wearing this piece of string round my wrist since Glastonbury 2004!"

"But my boyfriend gave me this strip of material as a token of our love. I've been wearing it ever since."

"But I wear this woven grass chain as a symbol of my love for the Earth, and that's my religion, I'm an Earthist, and I can't possibly remove it."

Now then. As you will no doubt know, there has been a tremendous amount of news about hospital-based infections recently. So this year the leader of the hand-washing session decided to put her foot down, and turned up with a pair of scissors.

"The only thing you can wear on your hands or forearms," she said, "is a wedding ring. Anything else needs to be removed. Here are some scissors to help you. I don't care if your jewellery is there because of sentiment or because of creed: it can still spread infection, and you're going to remove it, okay? Otherwise, there's the door, and you can leave, because you cannot become a doctor."

Yay! And, furthermore, woohoo! Hurrah for common sense!

7 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

So do you know why a wedding ring is acceptable - I mean a lot of nasty stuff can get lodged below that band of gold ?

8:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic, I like the sound of that hand-washing session leader. I bet every single student doctor who was wearing anything other than a wedding ring took it off. I hope they remember that and keep accessories off.

8:21 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Ruth - yes, I'm sure they did! Silverback - I don't know, but I'd think the wedding ring thing is pure social convention - if it's shown that germs can lurk beneath that too, then I think that doctors should have to remove those as well.

8:53 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

Hurrah indeed! Common sense rules....this time!

5:33 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Great post Daphne! But I'm interested in SB's comment. Very tongue-in-cheek, I'm sure.

Oh that's fun: A little coincidence. My word verification word is 'ringl'.

6:27 pm  
Blogger MrsG said...

I actually HAD a Great Aunt Gladys! She lived to be 102 and bequeathed me a handmade lace mantilla. What about facial jewellery, where do you stand on that? Just curious. :-)

8:20 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Debby - yes, a victory for common sense is a rare and beautiful thing!
Katherine - I thought I'd just answer Silverback's question, tongue in cheek or not - - because it's a very reasonable question!
AmyTree - well, Olli has facial piercings and normally I think they're a matter of personal choice. But, particularly for doctors in training, I think they could harm the rapport between doctor and patient and therefore I think they're a no, as all student doctors work with people of all ages.

9:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home