Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Extra Time

Just to let you know, in case you didn't, that you've got a bit of extra time before the end of the year - there's a leap second today. Apparently there's going to be an extra pip in the pips to accommodate it.

I'm telling you this out of consideration, so you'll have time to plan what to do with it.

Knowing my luck, it'll probably happen in the middle of Jools Holland's Music to Feel Miserable To - or whatever they call it - tonight. I don't like New Years' Eve at the best of times and I certainly don't like that programme, though it's on every flaming year so I suppose somebody must. Yes, thinking about it, somebody does - my mother. She loves it, she loves Jools, she doesn't care that he comes over like the least trustworthy of second-hand car salesmen and she even likes the strange dull musicians that he has on.

I don't know why all these time things always happen at - well, the wrong time. Why can't the clocks go back on a sunny summer's evening so we get more summer's evening? Why can't they go forward at 4pm on a winter's Friday afternoon, so everyone could go home earlier?

Since this leap-second is so small, I think it should be down to individual choice. If anyone had thought to consult me, I would have chosen to have mine when I was swimming in the Gulf of Mexico. Now I've missed that chance and I know it's going to be in the middle of some obscure band playing improvised jazz on pots and pans. Happy New Year.

5 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

Just what we needed.....an extra second in 2008. More time for my savings to dwindle a bit more. Time for Scum to score a winning goal in the fifth minutes and (now) 1 second of extra time like they usually do. Time for your Jools Holland fella to strike another painful note.

As no one told me the rules about it, I used up my extra second a few weeks ago taking a photo of you being dive bombed by hungry pelicans in the Bay of Mexico.

As Master Yoda would've said "this extra second wisely I used"

3:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that's a bit of a grumpy post.

I share your sentiments about New Year's Eve (although I don't think I have ever watched Jools Holland's Hootenanny so can't comment on that).

For a short time New Year's Eve was quite joyous for me as it was my then boyfriend's birthday on 31 December and I used to make sure we celebrated both auspicious events heartily.

However, since splitting up with him it has become something of a minefield, often marked by a midnight phone call from the ex boyfriend, usually telling me he wishes he was with me rather than whereever he happens to be celebrating the coming of a new year. Perhaps in that extra second this time round he will pause and not phone me!

3:47 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

I used the extra second very indulgently: I ate the last of my Christmas cherry liqueur chocolates that the kids bought me. That is a record even for me: One whole box of Belgian pralines and one whole box of cherry liqueur chocolates in (pause while I count on fingers with chocolate-euphoric-hazed brain) 5 days!
I ate lots of fruit to counter the waist-expanding effect, 'though. :-)

8:21 pm  
Blogger David said...

Happy New Year Daphne
That extra second came in really useful...Well I think it did, it was over so quickly

6:42 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

Wait a second....damn...I just wasted mine!

12:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home