Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Water Like a Stone

In his blog post yesterday, Silverback mentioned that I'd said to him that I'd removed the ice from the bird bath, and that several days later the chunk of ice was still on the lawn.

Silverback also happened - quite by accident, I'm sure - to show us a photo of his temperature guage outside the house in Florida, which I noticed was showing 115 degrees Fahrenheit in the sunshine.

It's not so warm in Blighty. Here's the very birdbath that he mentioned, this morning, with the piece of ice still next to it.


The birdbath is steaming in the photo as I was trying to thaw it by pouring on boiling water. It took two kettlefulls to do it.

It was great to see all the sparrows clustered round their new hot tub clutching their little towels, though.

I'm fed up of all this cold. Is it Spring yet?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last few weeks of my outdoor activity all seem to have started with a common ritual. That of checking the car thermometer for the brrrr factor before leaving the warm(ish) car interior.

8:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am kicking myself for not having taken a photo of the water feature outside the hotel I stayed at last night in Stratford. When I arrived yesterday it was a somewhat dull metal thing with water running down it. This morning it was an amazing frozen sculpture. Honestly, take my word for it, it was beautiful.

And yesterday morning when I woke up in Dudley it had snowed and the canal next to that hotel had frozen and the narrowboats were icebound. Again you'll have to take my word for it. I really must start getting into your habit of taking photos of everything!

8:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reminded of that old Yorkshire saying, which is accompanied with the stamping of feet and rubbing of crossed arms.

"Ee, bah, it's parky out Ma!"

10:36 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

It feels like the Ice Age has returned. I am a fool like you - thinking of our feathered friends. I rescued the old mince pies that Shirley had dumped in the bin - that can be their breakfast.

11:51 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Brrrr!

3:32 am  
Blogger Debby said...

I love the picture of tiny birds with tiny towels waiting to get into the hot tub that your words painted in my mind!

1:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home