Monday, December 29, 2008

Winter Woodland on a Sunny Day

I loved the bright, contrasty colours in Florida and - as I may have mentioned one or two dozen times - I loved the fact that there was a palm tree in every shot that I took.

But it was good to be reminded, on Boxing Day, that Britain can do lovely colours too. We went for a walk in Hetchell Woods, near Bardsey just outside Leeds (and you can click on the photos to enlarge them):

For most of the time the sun was shining:

and I liked the colours of the fields:

and the shapes of the winter trees:

and the colour of the light:

Grand. Yorkshire countryside on a sunny Boxing Day, nicely framed by an old railway bridge:

Yes, yes, all very lovely. The only trouble is, you only get the sunshine occasionally. Most of the time it's British Grey, damn it.

Florida brought it home to me. On the grey days, I now know that there's sunshine SOMEWHERE ELSE, and I want it. Bring me sunshine, as Morecambe and Wise used to sing.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boxing Day was lovely wasn't it? It is today, too. And colder I think.

I got back to London yesterday after 5 days away and it was 10c in the flat. Took a LONG time to get the temperature back up to anything bearable. Thankfully I have a radiator and a halogen heater so they saved the day.

11:54 am  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

As the crowd frequently chant at Hull City games - "Yorkshire! Yorkshire!Yorkshire!" Great pictures but now I feel like a pudding...

5:35 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

Ohhhh love pictures. That last one is my favorite. Even a palm tree wouldn't have made it better.

8:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home