Monday, January 05, 2009

Things I Liked About America No. 6 - Notices

I like reading notices everywhere, especially when away from home as they give the "feel" of the place.

So here are a few I saw in Florida.

Here's a poster warning of some venomous snakes. There are lots of little rhymes about them, to bring comfort or panic if one bites you. Coral snakes, where the red is next to the yellow, are dangerous:

"Red on yellow - kills a fellow".

But there are lots of copycat snakes, which try to frighten you, but which haven't quite the same stripes, so you have to remember:

"Red touching black is fine for Jack".

Never mind Jack - - what about me? I know perfectly well that if I'd been bitten I'd have been in such a state of panic I would have forgotten all rhymes or mixed them up.

Is it "Red and black - - alas alack"?

Or

"Black and yellow - - kills a fellow" - - - Nooooooooooo! It reminded me of a dim memory of some old British black and white film with the actor Will Hay in it, where they are all trapped on the railway track and they're trying to work out what time the train will come - - but the clocks have just gone back - - or forward - - they can't remember which - - -

Moving on - - - a bit of road law - look, it's not perhaps the most exciting photo in the world but it does have a palm tree in it if you look closely, which, as you know, significantly improves any photograph:

Here's a road sign that filled me with real excitement, because of the Kennedy Space Centre: I'd always wanted to go there and it was as fascinating as I thought it would be:

A bird on the beach:

and - - er - - this - - -

and outside the Hard Rock Cafe in Miami:

I loved the Hard Rock Cafe. I wish it was nearer, as I loved the food there too. I know that there used to be one in Leeds, but it closed: perhaps because "Hard Rock Cafe Leeds" doesn't have quite the same glamour.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the signs! I bet you look through your pics remembering all that warm sunny weather. A world away from Blighty for sure!

9:18 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

Probably closed because the only exhibit was a one string guitar donated by The Grumbleweeds and the menu included tripe butties with Yorkshire Puddings !

I used to buy a t-shirt or baseball cap from every HRC I'd visit but just couldn't bring myself to get anything from the Leeds Branch.

I assume most people thought the same and so it didn't last very long.

9:44 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I did like the sign "No drunks or nuclear weapons allowed." However, "Cape Canaveral" does nothing at all for me....

6:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home