Thursday, January 08, 2009

At the Doctor's

"So, are you a flu jab person? And have you had one?" asked the doctor.

I was there because they sent me a letter asking me to book an appointment to discuss my diabetes medication, because they need to keep checking that I'm on the right amount.

And I'm not - - my blood sugar is still too high, I know, and I showed the doctor my latest readings from when I test it, and he agreed it's too high, and we agreed I'll take one more tablet per day because I'm not up to the maximum dose yet.

Anyway, he knew jolly well that I am a flu jab person, because diabetics are more prone to the complications from flu, which include being killed to death by things like double pneumonia.

He also suspected - correctly - that really the flu jab hadn't been top of my agenda, what with the Communist dying in the middle of December. You'd think that the fact that the Communist died from double pneumonia would focus my mind a bit, wouldn't you? - - but hey, it didn't.

So the doctor bounced off to the Big Cave Full of Flu Jabs and brought me one back.

I wasn't paying much attention to what he was doing as we were deep in a discussion about the Communist. By chance, although there are several doctors in the practice, this one had been the one who visited the Communist in the nursing home and sent him into hospital.

Although the Communist didn't seem incredibly ill, he wasn't talking much sense at that time. And last time I saw this doctor, I had told him that the Communist still had all his marbles and wasn't confused at all. The doctor had remembered that I had said this, and then worked out, from the Communist's conversation, that the Communist must be more ill than perhaps he appeared.

This, of course, is what a good GP should do - and this is the sort of thing that makes me keep returning to this one. That and the fact that he offered me the flu jab there and then, rather than making me book an appointment with the nurse and come back again.

But because we were talking about the Communist, he only thought to say "oh yes, sharp scratch" as he stuck the needle in and I had one of those cartoon-like delayed reactions where I suddenly went "OW!" about two seconds later.

Because, in spite of what they tell you, if you stick a needle in yourself, it hurts. I do it most days when I check my blood sugar. It's a very thin needle. I stick it in my finger. It only takes one drop of blood. And it HURTS. Though not for long, granted.

Traditionally, though, the medical profession have always said things like "It won't hurt a bit". I think it's better to know that it will hurt, but it won't last long. Once, years ago, when I was having a blood transfusion, it hurt like hell, and I was really worried because I'd been told it wouldn't hurt.

Then a nurse came in and I told her it was hurting a lot and she said it was simply because they were trying to do it quickly. Then I was fine and I didn't mind it hurting.

The truth hurts sometimes. But half-truths and lies can hurt more. And needles always hurt. But not for long.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more ref: last sentence.

9:56 pm  
Blogger Kim said...

I hate needles terrified of them, havnt even had my BCG, and im glad that you have a nice doctor
they are far too rare these days, and from the training stories i heard from you and Ollie im really not suprised

XxX

10:26 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Needles? Pah! On Wednesday morning a doctor put his finger up my arse to feel my prostate! I have been in a state of trauma ever since! Give me a needle any time! The look on his face afterwards...it was how William the Conqueror must have looked following the Norman Invasion!

10:56 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Ditto Milo. It's like ripping off sticking plaster. Quick and get it over with.

5:19 am  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Too much information, YP!!!!

8:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I'm sorely tempted write a joke about a "little prick wont hurt" but I'll refrain.

ps

LOl @ YP, think yourself lucky mate! It could have been more than one!

12:39 pm  
Blogger Ailbhe said...

I get really angry at people telling children that vaccinations won't hurt.

1:34 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone!
Kim, I used to be scared of needles too but got over it when I was pregnant and had to have lots of injections. I still remember how scared I was though!
And, YP - - sometimes I'm glad I haven't GOT a prostate. And this is one of the sometimes.

7:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home