Sunday, December 14, 2008

Things I Liked About America No. 2: Boat-Tailed Grackles

I like trying to identify birds and so before I went to Florida I had a quick look on the interclacker to see which birds I might see.

My attention was caught by a superb bird name - a Boat-Tailed Grackle.

Who could not love such a bird?

At the Kennedy Space Centre, there were birds everywhere - large, black birds, a bit like a British blackbird but larger and gawkier. There were also brown ones with the black ones and at the superb Billie Swamp Safari I saw this one:

They were all Boat-Tailed Grackles: the males are black, the females are brown. Like many of the Florida birds, they have long legs and big feet.

Boat-Tailed Grackle. Wonderful.

2 Comments:

Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I thought it was your nickname for Ian....

9:15 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

I just like saying grackle!!

12:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home