Saturday, December 13, 2008

Croissants and Other Healthy Food

When I went to America I knew that there was going to be plenty of food that I'd like, but also plenty of food that would not be good for me, and I knew I would have to be careful.

So, with a few exceptions, I tried to eat very carefully, because of course I'm diabetic and I'm used to being pretty choosy about what I eat. Otherwise I feel terrible, and I didn't want to ruin the holiday.

So, apart from one occasion when I had about eleventeen helpings of no-added-sugar cherry crumble at a buffet restaurant called the Golden Corral, I was pretty good about it all. And, for goodness' sake, it was no-added-sugar. (I loved the buffets though. I hope they never introduce them to Britain. I'd eat there all the time and gain about ten stone).

When I got back to Britain I found that I had lost two pounds in weight. Hurrah!

But, of course, I came back to Dad's illness, death and funeral. Has all this stress rendered me completely unable to eat, all pale-and-interesting? No chance.

Since I got back I have eaten precisely what I've felt like. And what I've felt like has been croissants, mostly. With butter. Not just croissants, obviously. But mostly.

As well as croissants I've eaten toast. And crumpets. And Viennese whirls. And Scotch pancakes. And apple pies. And Bakewell tarts. The only trace left of my usual diet is porridge. And occasionally some fruit, though not nearly as much as normal. One apple and then I'm back to the croissants. After the funeral yesterday I was pleased to see that there were croissants at the hotel, too. I added nutritional balance, of course: as soon as I'd had a croissant with ham and cheese I made sure I then had another with just butter.

And have I not eaten any proper meals in the middle of all this Patisserie Mountain?

Well, I've had one meal of fish and chips and last night we had an Indian take-away.

Oh, and in the middle of a meeting at Leeds University I surreptitiously ate a Snickers bar.

And that's it since I stepped off the plane from Orlando on Friday last week.

Physically, I feel perfectly well, and I haven't put on any weight at all.

Clearly, there is a time for a Fat and Sugar Mountain, and this is it.

I'm going shopping tomorrow. I think I'll be buying rather a lot of salad.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

Could it be that you've made a ground-breaking discovery, Daphne? An eat-what-you-like diet that still enables you to lose weight. Send me a full copy at once please!

7:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Croissants? Fish & chips? Indian takeaway? We are birds of a feather I think! It is good to eat what we enjoy. As you know, I go through phases of eating masses of my favourite foods and then I have these self-imposed abstinences (which of course make the heart grow fonder).

I then repeat the cycle.

10:01 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Warning from "The Margaret Thatcher School of English Grammar" - "Having won the Yorkshire Pudding Wordsmith Award, one would have thought that one would avoid beginning any sentence with the conjunction "And" my dear!"

(At this point Thatcher keeled over and died and a national holiday was announced!)

12:44 am  
Blogger Daphne said...

And grateful thanks to Mr Pudding for the award! Yes, yes, I know all those rules of grammar but I reckon rules were made to be broken. Mind you, that's not what I told the teenagers when I was teaching!

7:36 am  
Blogger Debby said...

And Daphne gets another hug.

And I've been where you've been.

And I wish your diet would work for me.

And, I did feel bad giving you all the gross, and not healthy American eating experiences. There ARE a few healthy ones!

And, I suspect since Daphne is/was an English teacher, she knew the rule about 'and' and just chose to break it. That's allowed in blogging.

And, have I told you I like toast?

12:41 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Debby - I loved all the different places we ate: I think my favourite was Cracker Barrel but I have a big place in my heart for the Golden Corral too! And thank you for the hug - very much appreciated, believe me.

5:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home