Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Photography and Pepperpots

In the little town of Ulverston, Cumbria, there is a Victorian monument on top of a hill.

Its official name is the Sir John Barrow Monument but it is known locally as The Hoad, (scroll down a bit for a photo if you click on the link) and the hill it sits on is known as Pepperpot Hill because of the Hoad's resemblance to a pepperpot.

So far so good. On the way from Barrow to Leeds the road goes right past this hill, but there's nowhere easy to stop. I thought I might be able to get a photograph of The Hoad as Silverback, who was driving very smoothly as usual, drove slowly past it.

The thing is, I don't have quick reactions. If I have to take a photo which requires me to keep the camera still, that's fine, as I am a human tripod. I press the button and the camera has gone Cerllllick before I've noticed, let alone moved.

But taking a photo in a split second from a moving car was never going to be easy. Still, I've been taking photographs since I was five, so I mustered all my accumulated photographic skill. And here's the result.

Yes, not many people could have got The Hoad so perfectly aligned behind that pole.

Here's my second attempt:

Who cares about the top, anyway? Take it from me, it looks like a pepperpot. Should the Ulverston Tourist Board approach me, wanting to include my photos in their brochure, I'll be happy to give them permission.

3 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

The Ulverston Jewish League would certainly be very interested in your technique !

1:28 am  
Blogger Honey said...

lol could he not be persuaded to stop a moment?!

1:09 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

There isn't anywhere to stop just there, Honey - that's why I've never managed to get a photo before. These two flawed masterpieces are the only two I've managed to get in at least a hundred trips to Barrow.

7:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home