Saturday, March 15, 2008

Venison Burgers

This is part of the spirit of the times, isn't it? Farmers' Markets. They're springing up everywhere.

Today was the first one at Oakwood in Leeds - quite a number of stalls crammed into the small space under the well-known Oakwood Clock.

It was absolutely packed and I would like to be able to report to you about the delicious local produce to be found there - but unfortunately I couldn't get near enough to most of the stalls to find out what they were selling, which I suspect bodes well for the future of the monthly market.

The free-range eggs (6 for a pound) were very nice though, when boiled, with toast fingers (they were always "fingers" never "soldiers" insisted my anti-militaristic parents in their usual slightly OTT way).

There were stalls selling local meat, jams, chutneys, bread, cheese - and venison burgers.

No, I didn't try one: I don't think "Venison Burgers" sound very tempting.

How about "Bambi in a Bap"?

2 Comments:

Blogger MrsG said...

Venison burgers are lovely!! We used to go to the markets in Millimiuun square when they were on - the wild boar sausage is particularly good. (Though I suspect it's the pleasure of eating it hot off the grill in a paper napkin that I love most!)

12:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I'd never be allowed to join PETA or Greenpeace as I'm all for eating beasties. Bambi a cute baby creature....ground up tastes great in chili, no fat in the meat either I might add, and the backstrap...well we just won't even go there. It sounds like a lovely day at market for sure!

3:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home