Friday, March 14, 2008

Healthy Eating for Doctors

I've finished working with the doctors now. Not one of them called me Mr Johnson today. The high heels and fishnet tights seem to have done the trick.

One thing about these long days is there is lots of food. Not the usual type of corporate food either - the triangular mayonnaise-sandwiches kind: it is Proper Food, of the kind that people like to eat. And this is our downfall.

I'll tell you how my thinking goes. And, from my extensive research amongst the others - roleplayers and assessors - so does everyone else's. It's not just me. Honest.

Of course I have my usual bowl of porridge before setting off - - it's about an hour and a half's drive to Northern City, and I'm Type 2 diabetic after all so never go anywhere without breakfast.

And then when I arrive there are fresh bread rolls and a whole big pile of bacon, and coffee and orange juice and French pastries and a big bowl of fruit.

Well, on Day One of it I thought hey, healthy fruit, I'll have some of that with some orange juice, because I've had my breakfast.

By Day Two I'm thinking well, I'll have a wholemeal bacon sandwich as well, that's very nearly healthy, isn't it?

By Day Three I'm adding coffee, because I'm very tired: I make the bacon sandwich automatically, because it will give me stamina, and also I'll have the healthy orange juice and an apple.

By Day Four I'm on to coffee, orange juice, bacon sandwich, French pastry - in case my blood sugar drops, of course, and anyway I never eat such things at home, and one won't do any harm, surely? - I have by this stage developed an interesting belief that eating the apple after the rest will cancel everything else out: it kind of overrides it, bringing negative calories and health-giving properties.

So by the time the actual work starts at about half past nine I've eaten more than I'd normally eat for breakfast and lunch combined.

And, looking round the room, everyone else is doing exactly the same. Furthermore, we're all looking forward to quarter to one, when lunch will arrive.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you *really* wear fishnets? I've never met you, but... giggle. You don't give off that sort of vibe. I shall just have to remember the photos of the wedding and assume a Rocky Horror type costume.

(Yes, I'm prejudiced. I'm assured by an old friend that I don't sound like a Southern Baptist, but sometimes it's close.)

Julie paradox

8:14 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

Daffy's fishnets are famous round our way. As for her vibe, well she is known locally as the "Posh Pro" but although she acts upper class, she won't give them a group discount down at the Conservative Club !!

Well what did you all think her roleplays were about ? And what do doctors need ? Yes nurses of course and we're back to the fishnets.

You gotta read between the lines, people.

12:45 am  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Serious question, Daphne. How does one get into this sort of work?

8:10 am  
Blogger Daphne said...

Julie - thank you for your comment, good to hear from you again. As for the truth of it - - well, Silverback is a man of integrity and can always be relied upon, obviously!
Jennyta - if you'd like to email me at daphne.franks@hotmail.co.uk I will tell you more about it.

9:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I have orderd from this place a number of times and am very pleased to share. They have great kosher organic and natural food products.
Here is a link http://www.wholeandnatural.com
Enjoy!!!
p.s. I used a code try if it works for you bldc08

2:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home