Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Knowing Stuff

I can blag my way through on just about any topic, and I'm not sure that I like it.

I've got the kind of mind that tends to remember things about things. Doesn't matter what. If you start talking about, say, Somersetshire Cheese, I'll remember that I once read an article that said it had pink spots on its rind. I will pick exactly the right moment in the conversation to drop in this startling fact, and everyone will think I know all about Somersetshire Cheese. They will never realise it was the one fact that I knew, because I'm good at looking knowledgeable.

This ability gets me quite a long way in all sorts of situations: but it doesn't always please me.

I find myself wondering - - what, actually, DO I know about?

Yes, yes, turning frogspawn into frogs, I'm always going on about it, I know. To this I have recently added How To Hand-Feed Waxworms to Leopard Geckos During an Earthquake.

I know quite a lot about Shakespeare and his plays, but not anywhere near as much as anyone who really knows about Shakespeare and his plays. I know quite a lot about other plays too: but not as much as you'd think from my ability to blag about it.

I know a lot about how difficult actors' lives can be, and how the glamour of Showbiz is much overrated. I can spot a good actor - or a bad one! - after he or she's said less than half a line.

If I see a production of a play, I know what's good and what's bad about it - in my opinion, anyway (though I'm always right, of course, at least on this blog).

I know lots about spelling! Yippee! Mind you, so does a spell-checker, so my spelling skills are not as useful as they used to be.

I know a lot about the use of roleplay to teach all kinds of healthcare workers, and I think my greatest strength here is my ability to give feedback both in role and as myself - it's the teaching part of it that really interests me.

And I know a bit about lots of other things. But it's only a bit, I'm telling you now. I'm just highly skilled at maximising a bit of knowledge.

Oh - - - and I often - quite often, very often - know how people are feeling.

2 Comments:

Blogger Diz said...

It makes me wonder this, Daffers: how are you feeling?

7:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've inherited the blagging part.

Knowledgeable presentation on gender ideology at Castell Henllys, anyone? Without doing any reading?

Hmm, depends what my mark is...

11:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home