Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Happy Tale of Childhood

One of Emily's friends at university, Kim, comes from a background which, by her own admission, leaves something to be desired.

She was regaling Emily with tales of her childhood. Emily's favourite was this.

When I was a small baby my Dad took me to the dog-racing track. The dog he'd betted on won, and he was so excited he forgot all about me and went off drinking with his mates, leaving me behind.

Luckily a girl was there who used to babysit me and she recognised me and took me home.

My Dad came home three days later.

"Have you forgotten anything?" asked my Mum.

"Don't think so," said Dad, rather confused.

"Anything baby-shaped?" asked Mum.

"Oh no!" said Dad. "I've left our Kimberley at the dog-racing track!"

1 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

Awwww what a sweet, thoughtful man - to share his good fortune with his friends ! I'll not have a word said against him. Bless.

Makes me just swell with manly pride.....or maybe it's the burger and hot dog I've just had from the cafe !!

5:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home