Thursday, January 10, 2008

Wrapping

Some things need to be wrapped up.

Birthday presents, for example, often do.

If you were to buy, say, a pound of minced beef - or even a kilogram - you might want it wrapped up, as it might be difficult to carry otherwise.

So what about bananas? I'd say that the good thing about bananas is that they come pre-wrapped. You can pick up a banana and put it in just about any bag and, as long as you don't squash it, when you want to eat it several hours later there it will be, in peak condition.

Nothing difficult about bananas, then.

But I went to Tescos and tried to buy some of this perfect food, and the only ones they had were labelled Organic.

Okay, I've no objection to organic, free-range bananas, allowed to grow in natural sunlight, fed upon natural banana food and permitted to wander at will along sun-kissed beaches.

Now then, most people who are seeking out organic bananas would be the kind of worthy people who once drove a Citroen 2CV - yes, yes, I know, mine was red - and would like to save the planet during their lifetime, and who put their newspaper in the green bin and their grass cuttings on the compost heap.

So you'd think - ah, getting to the point now - that the people who sell organic bananas would know better than to present them vacuum-wrapped in Cellophane, wouldn't you?

And, further, out of my bunch of six bananas, three had been squashed to a mushy bananary paste by the wrapping.

It's a tricky business, this saving-the-planet thing. It's taking longer than I hoped.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father objects to buying anything organic on principle. I'm not sure what principle.

He also objects to bananas on grounds of taste. Meaning he hates the taste.

Personally I love bananas.

I am not so keen on Tesco. Sod 'saving the planet', it seems to me they want to take it over. World domination is probably much easier than world preservation.

10:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, I've just posted about wrapping things [in an indirect sort of way].

11:34 pm  
Blogger John said...

odd things you probably don't want to know about bananas:

banana plants can move by themsleves
supermarkets sell more bananas than any other single product
Iceland is Europe's biggest grower of bananas
[hot springs and poly-tunnels]
Ireland is Europe's biggest exporter of bananas
[Fyffes by all Belize's banana crop]

I'll shut up now

10:00 am  
Blogger MrsG said...

How odd - I just had the same thought! I bought bananas yesterday at Somerfields (god how I miss Safeway!) and all they had were the organic, plastic wrapped ones. They seemed fine until I got them home, when I discovered that half of them were bruised to mush. Bad time of year for them, I suppose.

1:47 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Thank you all for your comments - and, Sidney Hound, what's your blog? Please let me know then I can find it.
John: if I have nightmares about banana plants coming up the stairs, it will be your fault.

11:49 pm  
Blogger John said...

as far as I know they can't climb stairs, yet.

[SHOT OF BANANA PLANT SLITHERING UP A SMALL STEP IN THE DARK]

When I was out in the land of the banana, I was told by a local, who seemed to know about these things, having grown bananas for the best part of his life, that the banana plants move across the soil by up to 2 feet.

We were on a dusty road with banana plantations on either side and he said that it used to be much narrower, before the banana plants retreated.

Mwah ha ha ha ...

3:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home