Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"NOT ME"

So there I was in a cafe at the University of Leeds, eating my baked potato with cheese and salad, and a man came past my table and - with rather more force than was necessary, I thought - plonked this down on the table in front of me.

I peered at it. "NOT ME" it said on both sides, with no other information of any kind.


It wasn't entirely a surprise to me since the whole of the University is suddenly covered in such things. There are long, thin yellow plastic banners with "NOT ME" written on them, twined amongst railings.

There's a huge plastic poster hovering above the very pond which featured on this blog t'other day

Everywhere there are big yellow paper posters, all bearing the same message.

What's it all about? Well, they're not telling us. Or not yet, anyway.

Of course I searched for the campaign on t'interclacker and all I could find was lots of other people trying to find out too, plus a few comments and suggestions:

I nicked one of the posters and when they asked who had stolen it, I said "NOT ME".

Could it be part of a campaign for the collective denial of responsibility?

I hope it's something more interesting than the usual marketing campaign - I remember there was one years ago that went "Tell Sid if you see him" for ages before they told us what it was all about. And, since I remember the slogan, such marketing clearly works.

I'm back at Leeds University again soon. I'll let you know if I find anything out. And if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Viral marketing eat your heart out...

I wonder what it is. Not sure what they're doing is particularly original, but even so, I'm sure it will get a lot of people guessing which is the whole plan.

Will wait to hear when you find out! :P

8:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teaser marketing is all about the buzz, the anticipation, it's usually a let down.

10:41 pm  
Blogger MrsG said...

I found this on the University of Leeds homepage:

7 January
"Not Me"
Members of the staff and students may have noticed the 'NOT ME' temporary homepage for Campusweb. This is one part of a new awareness campaign, not a security breach as some people have feared. The campaign will evolve across the next few months , with key messages for staff. Look out for posters on campus. All posters have been printed on recycled paper."

Mmmm... teaser marketing indeed! Do let us know when it reveals itself - let's hope it's worth the wait!

9:34 am  
Blogger Daphne said...

Thank you all for your comments. D'you know what, I sense already that, when we find out what it is, it won't be worth the wait. But I'll let you know when I do.

6:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home