Monday, January 07, 2008

The Decade Taste Forgot?

The 1970s. Often described as The Decade Taste Forgot.

I think that's rather truer of the 1980s. I always hated all that conspicuous-consumption element of it - all those shoulder pads and big hair and glitz. Even thinking about it makes me want to rush out and buy a Citroen 2CV and some sandals.

I offer this video in evidence of the Lack of Taste, m'lud. Bonnie Tyler, Total Eclipse of the Heart, 1983 - - and I admit, I've always rather liked this song. She sounds a bit like a female Rod Stewart. Okay, as Emily pointed out, when we came across this video on television the other day - probably the first time Emily's heard it - it sounds a bit like two different songs joined together. But I always liked its swelling chorus and I always found it strangely moving.

Then I saw this video. Go on, tell me the plot, if you can. What on earth is going on? There's a kind of public-school theme with some rather dodgy schoolboys. Some American Football players make a fleeting appearance at one point. There's a man with angel wings, releasing a dove. There's a tremendous amount of dry ice and blue light. And through it all, there's Bonnie Tyler, bravely singing on in spite of the fact that she's clearly had a terrible accident whilst drying her hair.

I don't have much nostalgia for the 1980s, but such nostalgia as I do have doesn't seem to be what it used to be. Perhaps, if I close my eyes, I'll still like the song.



6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't really understand a word of it, but here is an explanation of sorts:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/11/the-best-music.html

7:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the song and more importantly... I LOVE THE 80s!! For popular culture I mean. Was too young to understand any of the politics. But have extremely fond memories of the popular culture - the movies, (Top Gun, Dirty Dancing, Goonies), the music (where do I even begin??) and TV (A-Team, Air Wolf, Street Hawk, Dukes of Hazard, and hundreds and hundreds of others).

A golden era methinks.

7:40 pm  
Blogger MrsG said...

Don't forget the dancing ninjas and zombie choirboys...
Gool ol' Bonnie Mullet - I love that song!!

9:23 pm  
Blogger Malcolm Cinnamond said...

1980 was the last time Wolves won anything significant, punk had fizzled out, Thatcher had been in power for a year. . . I'm with you all the way.

10:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had heard that song before!

And we were made in the 80s, they must have been great :-D

10:21 pm  
Blogger John said...

Didn't like it then, don't like it now.

11:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home