Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Amazing Rescue

What a coincidence! Just a couple of days after writing about the heroic exploits of Victorian heroine Grace Darling, I was involved in a daring rescue of my own.

There I was in the pet shop, buying some crickets for the geckos' tea. Actually I was buying three boxes as they're cheaper that way - gecko breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next couple of weeks.

And then, as I came up the stairs from the reptile department, carrying my three boxes which were all going jump jump jump and chirp chirp chirp, I saw a grey shape out of the corner of my eye, moving behind a pile of boxes.

All my life I've been scared of grey animal shapes that you can't quite see, in case they happened to be wolves. However, putting the boxes of crickets down, and with no thought for my own safety, I moved carefully forward.

Now I could see it. Bit small for a wolf. It was a Netherland Dwarf rabbit, one of those that's very cute, all fluff and not much ears. It looked just like the big picture here.

Luckily rabbit-handling is one of my (limited range of) skills - rabbits take one look at me and sense that I spent half my childhood looking after rabbits. I mesmerised it with my "I might just be a fox, so keep still" look and then picked it up. It sensed that I was In Charge and knew better than to wriggle.

The staff of the shop seemed very pleased to have it back, and swiftly returned it to the very pen it had just jumped out of. Oh well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Malcolm Cinnamond said...

I take it the painters are queueing up at your door already.

10:38 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

Damn I'd have paid good money to see you pick up a wolf by the ears.

Then again knowing your fear of all things wolfy, I suspect you'd still be in a coma by the time I get home.

Ian

10:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home