Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Pull of the Moon

One of the interesting things about the seaside is that it changes so much as the tide goes in and out.

We were looking at a net that had been lost by a fishing boat: it was lying on the sand:

Then, just a short while later, there it was, way out to sea:

But hey, just a minute, I thought. Aren't we made up of a large percentage of water? How come we don't feel the moon's pull and be dragged across the room one way in the morning and then back again in the afternoon?

It was patiently explained to me that although a lot of water does go in and out, as a proportion of the amount of water in the sea it's very tiny. So only a tiny bit of us would get pulled across the room. The bit that suddenly goes hey, I think I'll go and put the kettle on now.

Really, sometimes science can be very dull. I'd like to think the moon has more of an effect on us than we know.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home