Sunday, November 19, 2006

Maximalism

You've got three days to get yourself there - - and I've been a bit busy getting myself, family and friends there this weekend, which is why I haven't written this blog as frequently as usual.


John Coombes and Wayne Markwort, as Markwort and Coombes, have exhibited their work in a multi-media art exhibition, Maximalism, in the huge basement of Bates Mill in Huddersfield. When I say huge I mean HUGE - John's Landrover is parked in one corner and looks like a Dinky toy.

They've done it all without a grant and it cost a lot to do because there is film and television as well as oil painting, installation, sculpture and drawing.

You can read more about it on the Maximalism blog which John has been writing.

There have been lots of visitors over the weekend and I'm sure there will be more during the week - it finishes on Wednesday - and I overheard very many positive comments at the opening night last night.

I love it when people get up and do stuff - art, theatre, film, anything requiring talent and commitment - and I particularly like it when they JUST DO IT without complaining that they can't possibly do it because the world is against them and it's not fair (even though, with regard to the arts, it usually isn't fair - some tosser with no talent has usually got all the money).

So, if you live within travelling distance of Huddersfield - and hey! they've invented aeroplanes so you all do! - then go and see it. There are lots of edgy, original things to see and not a single brightly-coloured oil painting of a stilted-looking sailing ship upon a turquoise sea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home