Monday, July 16, 2012

The Porridge Diet

Here's a poem by the late Goon, Spike Milligan:


Why is there no monument
To Porridge in our land?
It it's good enough to eat,
It's good enough to stand!

On a plinth in London
A statue we should see
Of Porridge made in Scotland
Signed, "Oatmeal, O.B.E."


I'm very fond of porridge.  I saw on telly that the cattle drovers in Scotland used to make themselves a big pot of porridge in the morning and it would give them enough energy to keep walking until the evening.  I have a memory that they put some of the cow's blood in it too in a kind of black pudding.


Anyway, it's good stuff, porridge, high in fibre, high in protein.


At the beginning of May, I went to the doctor and complained like mad that one type of my diabetes tablets, Metformin, made me feel queasy all the time, and the other kind, Gliclazide, made me so hungry that I would find myself looking at bits of furniture wondering whether I might gnaw on them if lunch was a bit late.


I had, therefore, piled on some weight because somehow the eat-everything-in-sight effects of the Gliclazide overrode the feeling-sick effects of the Metformin.


The overall effect was not good.  In spite of the swimming, I was gradually getting fatter AND feeling queasy almost all of the time.  And what is bad for diabetics?  Yes, being overweight.  Sighh.


So I said all this to the doctor.  And he said, to my amazement, that I should give up all the tablets and just see what I could do with diet and exercise.


So I have.  


Now then, nobody ever tells you  how much they weigh, do they?  They'll give you every sordid detail of their sex life but not their weight.  I'm bravely going to tell you mine.


My weight had soared to a positively slightly plump - - ohh all right then, FAT, thirteen stone three.  Not actually as fat as you might think even though I'm only little because I really do have the build of a Russian peasant - - broad shoulders!  But FAT.  


And now, in two and a half months, I am down to a very nearly sylph-like twelve and half stone.  (Yes, yes, okay, okay, not QUITE sylph-like - - but getting there!)  So I've lost about a pound a week and that's great - I hope it will continue.


I think my method is mostly down to porridge.


Every day I have a large bowl of porridge for breakfast.  Half a mug of oats, a whole mug of milk and an extra gloop of water.  Microwave for three minutes.  Add a handful of frozen raspberries, or sometimes a banana (okay, occasionally both!) and then microwave for another thirty seconds and sweeten with just a bit of Canderel or other artificial sweetener.  (Yes, eat your heart out, Jamie Oliver).


I'm being careful with the rest of my diet too, of course, and eating lots of fruit and veg - luckily I love all fruit and almost all veg! - but the filling properties of porridge really help.  


Perhaps I should expand this blog post into a book and hope for a Christmas best-seller.  Daphne's Porridge Diet.  You read it here first!















10 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

Congratulations, Daphne. You have inspired me to try harder with my 'diet' - the 'doesn't work' one. I will certainly give yours a try.

4:56 pm  
Blogger Jan Blawat said...

Daphne, throwing the glicazide away was a good thing, it's what makes you overproduce insulin and insulin's job is to store fat. I think it's frustrating that we're told gaining weight is bad for diabetics, and then they give us medication that guarantees we'll gain it.

6:03 pm  
Blogger Jan Blawat said...

Daphne, throwing the glicazide away was a good thing, it's what makes you overproduce insulin and insulin's job is to store fat. I think it's frustrating that we're told gaining weight is bad for diabetics, and then they give us medication that guarantees we'll gain it.

6:03 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Your secret is still safe on this side of the pond. No one here has a clue how much "a stone" is.

7:00 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

Very brave of you to mention your weight, my dear. What next ? Admit to the fish and chips, carvery meals, chinese takeaways, pork and lamb chops etc ? Maybe those are the diet helpers and not porridge ;-)

3:53 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Jennyta - thank you!
Jan - yes, I agree about the Evil Gliclazide.
Bob - - a stone is 14lbs. I never understand weight given in just pounds.
Silverback - all those things you mention I still plan to have - I've given up cake, chocolate and all other sweet things that I have always loved - - except on VERY special occasions. What I am eating is LOTS of fruit and veg - probably seven or eight portions a day - but I like all fruit and veg! But if I don't eat something like a carvery once a week I will NOT be happy. And I'm losing about a pound a week - - so that's fine by me, I'd hate to starve myself in order to lose weight faster.

4:20 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

More protein (meat); fewer carbohydrates, that's the ticket!

12:45 pm  
Blogger aerate harsh ladle said...

How unusual for a doctor to suggest giving up medication...... And sensible in your case!

9:21 am  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

If I lost a pound, I'd be scrabbling about in the gutter till I found it again! I agree that porridge is a wonderful food that has the capacity to stave off mid-morning hunger. Microwaving makes porridge a much swifter option than it used to be.

4:30 pm  
Blogger Helsie said...

OK Daphne, you've inspired me too. I'll give the porridgea go.... while the weather is cool anyway!
cheers

12:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home