Tuesday, July 03, 2012

The Pembrokeshire Monsoon

Tenby weather. Sparkling sunshine on a blue, blue sea in the early mornings. Long, hot afternoons in and out of the ocean. Sun-reddened skin. Sunhats. Sand in everything. Ice creams. Golden evening light on the harbour.

And so it has been for the past forty-seven years. Okay, we've had the occasional drizzly afternoon. Sometimes a rainy evening. But always – always! - the knowledge that there'll be sunshine to come.

Not this week, though. This week is a different Tenby. Our hotel is on top of the cliff and we're up in the clouds. Or perhaps it's just mist. Certainly, the glorious view of the harbour seems to have been removed. It has rained so much that apparently there is 95% humidity. You can't tell where the sea ends and the sky begins.

Out on the horizon we can usually see the big rocky outcrops on the Gower Peninsula, Worms Head, where I spent a delightful – and gloriously sunny - day with Silverback a couple of years ago.

This year, we haven't seen Worms Head all week. Our usual beautiful coastal walks are still walkable – just – but there's lots and lots of mud.

Stephen pointed out to me today that there was nothing to stop me swimming in the sea. So off we went, down the zigzag cliff path to the sea. I have been up and down that path hundreds and hundreds of times over the years but today it was so slippy that it was only just possible.

Into the sea I went, and then I felt I was home, and I didn't want to come out, and it was only poor soggy Stephen waiting patiently for me that finally brought me out of the water. We didn't dare risk the cliff path again so walked along the beach and came up the steps - - and by now I was as wet as it was possible to be, so I went in the outdoor pool for half an hour.

I still love everything here – we all do. But this weather is strange, and just plain WRONG. Bring me sunshine.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Just saw the Yorkshire weather forecast for the next five days. Grey clouds and rain every day with little respite expected. Where's Noah when you need him?

11:24 pm  
Blogger Daphne2 said...

I think, and I could well be wrong, we had a day in Leeds on Monday with no rain, but I could have just been lucky and been in the isolated spots that escaped the rain. This must be the worst summer I can remember. I'm going to london for 5 days at the beginning of August (Olympics) and the forecast is not looking good.

8:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home