Monday, June 18, 2012

Only You

I was trying to write a post about the Great East Swim, which I swum - and greatly enjoyed - this weekend - - but for some reason Blogger won't let me upload photos at the moment so I'll try again soon. Pah!

So, back to 1983 then, and the Flying Pickets. In those strange days of Thatcher's Britain, the group the Flying Pickets were formed by members of the theatre company called 7:84, whose work I very much enjoyed.

Their title came from the fact that, at the time, seven percent of the population owned eighty-four percent of the wealth. I wonder what they'd be called now? 1:99, probably. The Flying Pickets had a big hit record with Only You in 1983, and I liked it then and I still do! Brian Hibbard, lead singer of the Flying Pickets, died today from cancer, so I've been going round humming this song all day. So, with fond memories of Brian Hibbard and not-so-fond memories of those times, here it is:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

It's getting a bit worrying hearing about all these contemporaries shuffling off their mortal coil!

8:39 am  
Blogger Kate said...

I do like this song very much. Never heard of them down here of course, but that was rather adventurous of them:- no backing instruments at all. Fab.

11:11 pm  
Blogger Jan Blawat said...

Love the sideburns.

6:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home