Friday, June 22, 2012

The Shapeshifting Cat

There's definitely something strange about cats in general and Wendy in particular.  She simply has the ability to disappear.  Sometimes I know she's in the house but she's absolutely impossible to find.

One night she managed to sleep on top of the wardrobe in our bedroom, unbeknownst to me.  I was a tiny bit surprised when I was woken in the morning by the sound of a cat yelling as she flew through the air and landed on my head.

A few days ago she went out and disappeared for forty-eight hours and I was getting really worried about her.  I called and called but she didn't come so finally left her outside somewhere and went to bed.  Then, early the following morning,  I was woken by a cat miaowing outside our bedroom window.  I stuck my head out.

"Wendy?"

She yelled a VERY indignant miaow.  The cry of a cat that has been cruelly abandoned by its evil owner.  I went downstairs and let her in.  She gave me a look that expressed deep disappointment in me, as she zoomed past me to find something to eat.

She keeps getting herself locked in the cellar.  The other day I was going down there to hang up the washing and was determined to keep her out of there.

Wendy was fast asleep on a shelf in the office.  So I quietly closed the office door so she couldn't get out of the office.  Then I went down into the cellar and hung up the washing.  Then I came up from the cellar and shut the cellar door.  Then I opened the office door slightly so that Wendy could get out.  Sorted!

Later on, I couldn't find her anywhere.  Searched the whole house.  No sign.  Went down the cellar steps.  There she was, asleep in the cellar.  I have NO IDEA how she did this.  I think she simply dematerialises and pops up somewhere else.

Here's another place I found her in recently.  She is a very strange cat.


7 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

When you have eliminated the impossible, that which remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Wendy has a twin !

9:35 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Err, didn't you mum tell you that you hang washing up in THE GARDEN not in THE CELLAR for that's where people keep their wine and where men go to do manly things that have the added benefit of avoiding the endless verbosity of womenfolk.

11:07 am  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Besides the which, cellars are cold and damp and gardens are...oh, I forgot, you're in England.

12:23 pm  
Anonymous Shooting Parrots said...

Ignore them, they know not of what they speak. A cellar is the perfect place to hang washing when it's raining, as we do.

1:47 pm  
Blogger Jan Blawat said...

My tiny cat Gollie, who is on my lap as I type, used to disappear for long periods of time. My husband and son hated those times because I was afraid she was trapped somewhere, and I'd make them pull the washer and dryer away from the wall so I could check for her, or move the couch and chairs, they'd have to be turned upside down to see if she'd torn a hole in the lining and crawled inside. She's 8 now. She's never stopped being a feral cat, but the one thing I've learned is that no matter where she's gone she's safe. She takes very good care of herself.

Your kitty is terribly cute. I can see by her expression she's planning her next trick.

5:30 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Thank you for your comments, everyone - - and as for the Cellar Question - - well our cellar has one of those old-fashioned drying racks that pulls up to the ceiling. It dates from the late nineteenth century, when the house was built, and still works perfectly. So, on the days it rains - which are many - the washing dries in the well-ventilated cellar!

11:20 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Hahahahaha! Great finale foto. (It seemed better with an 'f').

10:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home