Sunday, September 18, 2011

Indian Summer

Yes, we all know it hasn't been a great summer in Britain. But never mind, I thought - - there might be an Indian Summer. Early September is often gorgeous and I have fond memories of lovely narrowboat trips at this time of year.

Sadly, in a helpful attempt to over-compensate for the Spring drought, the weather continued to throw it down.

However, we did have an Indian Summer, in the sense of an Indian Takeaway. That is, it was pleasant whilst it lasted but was all gone very quickly. It was last Thursday.

And, luckily, Silverback invited me to go for a walk with him on Thursday, and it was the perfect day for it. Blue skies. Little white fluffy clouds.

So I left all the financial stuff in our office temporarily, and off we went to Eccup Reservoir, just outside Leeds.

Lovely day or not, Eccup Reservoir is somewhat lacking in what Silverback termed, in his blog post about it all, as photogenicness. (And now this word has been used twice I think it should enter the dictionary).

To try to alleviate this problem, Silverback stood me in the front of the reservoir in his photo in the hope that I would look interesting. Judge for yourself the result on his blog. To my mind, the most interesting thing was that in his photo, every other colour looked just as it did in real life, except my hair, which is light brown but looks ginger.

I didn't think of adding any foreground interest, and hence my photo of Eccup Reservoir is one of almost stunning dullness.

It was a gorgeous afternoon though. Every fruit-bearing tree is bearing more fruit than I would have believed possible. I think it is because of the hard winter last year. It frightened them. "Nooooo! It's minus TEN! We're going to DIE! Quick, we must produce lots and lots of fruit to carry on our species!"

Here are some hawthorn berries. See what I mean?

I knew I wouldn't starve on this walk. There was plenty of food on the way, such as this field of turnips.

I like raw turnips. I like most raw vegetables. I spent a lot of my childhood eating raw cauliflower, raw cabbage, raw carrots, raw turnips, raw potatoes - - and then, to my annoyance, suddenly this became fashionable and suddenly everyone was diong it. Except for the raw potatoes, which are poisonous, apparently. I told Silverback this and he nodded sagely in a kind of "This explains EVERYTHING" way.

Anyway, here's my favourite crop. A field of stripes.

It was a delightful walk, and only three miles from home.

I thought, and not for the first time, how much I enjoy wandering along country paths like this.

It's chucking it down again now. But the Indian Summer was lovely while it lasted.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

Make the most of it, Daphne, I heard on the radio today that we are in for a stormy, wet autumn and very cold winter - again!!

6:12 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Eccup? Sounds like Eyup! Or maybe there's a missing consonant...Peccup? Leccup? Or, depending on how you pronounce it... Feccup!

8:24 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Jennyta - - Noooooo! Sighhhh!
YP - Eccup is a proper Yorkshire-sounding name. Clearly you Southern softies in Sheffield don't know what Proper Yorkshire is.

10:47 pm  
Anonymous Doc said...

Nice photos! I too am disappointed by the summer and lack of the usual fine weather we see in Sept. Cold winters are great though, everything in the garden is healthy. Even my palm tree that had 'died' is sprouting from the base.

12:33 pm  
Blogger Helsie said...

I love the thousands of pathways you have over there where anyone can walk through the fields and when we are lucky enough to visit on holidays we love to use these public footpaths to wander through the pretty countryside. Of course we can't keep up to the cracking pace the English ( indeed perhaps I should say British )walk at.
The weather was OK when we were there for a month recently in May but not hot like people wanted. Have you forgotten the hot weather you had for most of April?
I wonder if we swapped our constant sunshine and increasing heat for your constant rain and cold who would crack up first and want to go home.
cheers
Helen

1:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home